Chapter Six

The group is riding in the camper with Mary seated next to Judith; La'Shawna and Kacey across from them. Anthony and William are playing cards on the bottom bunk between the wall separating the table from the beds and the bathroom.

"I know this is your first day, so I'll cut you some slack this once. In my group, I expect everyone to not only fall in line but show respect to each other," she explains, then turns her head to Kacey who does the same. "Kassandra, I understand your frustration, but calling her simple was not only uncalled for but childish. Apologize."

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath before returning her attention to Mary who's now looking at her.

"I'm so very sorry for calling you out of your name, Mary. Could you ever see it in your heart to forgive me," Kacey sarcastically asks.

"Yeah, I guess it's, like, fine," she mumbles to her. Judith glances at Mary then La'Shawna.

"Monday morning, we're doing a few trust exercises," La'Shawna announces. "If we're gonna be an outreach program with a mission to spread love and peace, then we'll have to start within our group."

"Excuse me," Kacey says under her breath, her face filled with sorrow. Her leader slides out of the booth with her close behind, then she returns to her seat when Kacey walks to the bathroom.

"Thank you for helping me," Mary tells them, alternating her gaze between the two women. Judith has her attention on the bathroom door, but when she hears Mary speak, she glances at her.

"It's no problem. I consider myself the older sister of the group so if there's ever an issue, feel free to let me know so we can keep this a safe place." Mary nods her head. La'Shawna slides out of the booth then walks to the front of the camper.

Mary takes a deep breath then turns her head to her distracted friend.

"Judy," she calls for her, then smiles when their eyes meet. "Thanks for sticking up for me back there."

"It's whatever." Judith looks over her shoulder again to stare at the bathroom door.

"Penny for your thoughts?" She returns her attention to Mary. Forcing a smile, she shakes her head. "Okay, well, do you want to hang out with me later? I have a lecture that I'll need to be in as soon as we reach the campus, so you can, like, chill in my dorm room until I'm done."

"I would rather not," Judith says and she watches her furrow her brows with confusion. "I'm still mad at you for what you said earlier?"

"What'd I say," she asks with a scoff. Kacey thrusts the door open, her face flushed and moistened by her tears.

"You compared my grief to your dead dog," she reminds her and Mary rolls her eyes, then folds her arms. "You can be as pissed as you want to be, but that's not the same thing; you can buy another dog, but I can't buy another sister."

"That could be arranged," she mumbles, staring at the exit door. Kacey approaches their table and her eyes light up along with Judith's at Mary's comment.

"What'd you just say," Judy asks with a peeved tone.

"It was a joke, Judy," she tells her in a louder voice. "God, you're so sensitive today. I'm sorry about your sister and I'm sorry for making a joke to lighten the mood. Can we please not fight right now? I'm dealing with a lot too."

Kacey and Judith lock eyes. Her eyes warn her not to accept the apology, but with a sigh, she turns to Mary and says with a forced smile, "It's fine. Yeah, we can hang out in your dorm."

"Thank you!" Mary throws her arms around her for a hug. Kacey rolls her eyes, shakes her head then proceeds to walk toward the front of the caravan.

Judy's face relaxes once out of Mary's line of sight and she watches Kacey depart from hers.