Chapter Sixty-one

Judith strolls away from her dresser and toward her bed. The sun is high and beaming through her window, illuminating her would-be dim room. She's left with two things at the bottom of her suitcase: her journal and her 007 knife.

She grips the handle in her right hand, remembering Jerome and how he figuratively lifts stones from her shoulders. She smiles at the image of his round face. Then she takes the notebook in her other hand and envisions David stacking boulders on her back.

"Judy, Mom needs you downstairs," Stevie says as he bursts into her room. She turns at her hips, and his eyes widen when he sees the tool. "Is that the knife from that James Bond movie? It's out of sight!"

"I don't know." She shrugs. "A friend of mine bought it for me, but I doubt I'll keep it."

"Can I have it?" She furrows her eyebrows at his question and behavior.

"No. You know Ma would never let you have one, at least not until you're sixteen." He folds his arms, and she returns to her dresser. She sits it in her top drawer with her journal, then walks with him downstairs.

Sheryl's sitting on the sofa, staring at a framed wedding picture of her and Walter. Judith stands next to the television box across from her.

"You called for me?" She lifts her head and glances at the arch. Judy follows her eyes.

"While your uncle was housesitting, he wrote down the names and numbers of people who called," she explains monotonously. "A few people called you. Go look for the paper on the counter."

Judith strolls into the kitchen, and Sheryl returns her attention to the picture. Stevie wanders upstairs.

Jerome, David – Kacey? I'll call David last.

She takes the phone to her ear and spins the numbers, redialing her. She listens to the faint droning followed by a click and light breathing.

"McDaniels residence. This is Paola McDaniels speaking," a woman with an angelic voice introduces herself and soothes Judy's anxious nerves.

"Hi, my name is Judith Jefferson, and I was looking for Kacey," she says. "I was away for a while and was told that she called me. I attend Darlington University with her, and I'm in the Christian group she's in."

"Okay, well, she's with her business partners in a meeting, but I'll be sure to let her know you called." Judith's grin fades as the woman rushes her off the phone. "Have a nice day!"

"You – too," she pauses halfway when a sharp click exits the speaker, indicating that she'd hung up. As she mashes the small button to reset the call, she sighs with annoyance. She spins the wheel and listens to the dial tone, leaning her hip against the counter. She checks her nails just as the other end rattles.

"Hello," a groggy voice greets her, and she furrows her eyebrows.

"Is this Jerome," she asks, and the caller clears his throat.

"No, this is Justin. Who's this?" She rolls her eyes when she remembers he has a twin brother.

"It's Judy – from school. I just got back in town, and I was told he called." Justin chuckles, but she doesn't react until it grows louder. "What's so funny?"

"First off, he's at work. I didn't go because I sprained my ankle," he explains, but before he can continue, she interrupts.

"Look, I don't care." He falls silent, and for that moment, all she hears is plastic rustling and him breathing heavily.

"You know," he begins, crunching chips in his mouth as he speaks. "You're real mouthy for someone that was passed around by Black Ted Bundy."

"The fuck did you say?" She lowers her voice to that of a whisper, ignoring the continuous chewing.