Chapter Fifty-seven

Judith is leaning against the wall between the dining room and the living room with her bookbag's strap in her left hand. She watches her mother reminisce about the nineteen fifties with her professor on the couch.

"I can laugh at it now," Sheryl says. "But back then, I was scared out of my mind. A little black girl grabbing a white woman's hand? It's unheard of," she says through a smile. "Stacey probably doesn't even remember that day, but if Walter were here, he'd tell it better than me. He was very theatrical."

"I can imagine that." He takes a sip from the black mug in his hand, and Judith clenches the strap when she sees World's Best Dad on the side. "I remember that same year – nineteen fifty – I went to work at Stratman Inn as an elevator assistant, and I was on this bus filled with white women and men. A white man hops on, demands for me to move to the back."

"Did you," Sheryl asks, and the rotary phone rings.

"Yes, I did." Judith rolls her eyes. "Five years go by, I hear about Rosa Parks, and I wished I would've said no. Knowing she was arrested for something so foolish; it bothered me for years."

"Judy, go answer the phone." She drops her bag and strolls into the kitchen. Sheryl returns her attention to Judith's teacher as he takes another swig. "My Daddy would tell me stories about moments like that. I laugh it off, but it bothers me. It's how he died."

"They killed him?" With pursed lips, she nods, and he sits his hand on her back. Judith lifts the handset to her ear and clears her throat.

"Hello," she monotonously greets the caller and makes a confused face when she hears stifled laughter. "Hello?"

"Hi, I'm calling from the Palmetto Gas and Water's main office, and I'm looking for a man named Dick," the woman on the other end explains with a thick southern accent and high-pitched voice. "Is he available to parley?"

"Sorry, you have the wrong number." Judith draws the phone from her ear to hang up.

"Ma'am, are you sure?" She shuts her eyes and huffs, her cheeks briefly inflating, then she returns it to her ear. "I'm staring at the listing right now, and I assure you this is the number. Is he not available?"

"There isn't a Dick here," Judy whisper yells with her mouth closer to the mic, and the caller snickers. "Hello?"

"There isn't a Dick there? No wonder you're so cranky." The woman bursts into hyena-like laughter, but Judith stares at the numbers with a deadpan expression. She drops the handset onto the hook switch.

"Stupid kids," she says under her breath. As she turns away, the rotary drones again, and she shuts her eyes to calm herself. Judith returns to the counter, draws the phone to her ear, and sighs.

"Judy, it's me," the caller says through uncontrolled laughter, and her look of annoyance shifts to confusion. "It's Ja'liyah."

"You're so childish." Judith leans against the counter, her lips curved into a smile. Her heart flutters with ecstasy at the sound of her cousin's voice.

"Sounds like you're in a better mood," she says, then coughs three times. She sniffles and clears her throat. "Is Stevie there?"

"Most likely. I didn't hear him or Vera when I got in a while ago." Judith glances at the top of the staircase, seeing nothing but darkness. She looks forward. "They're probably in bed right now. Why?"

"That little man is the next Richard Pryor, that's why. Tell him I owe him a Lincoln for his help." Ja'liyah lets out another dry cough, and Judith draws a breath to question it, but she's interrupted. "Hey, what's the skinny on that Prince Charming of yours? You two make up yet?"