Chapter Eighty-three

"Knock, knock." Vera looks up from her Teen Beat magazine with John Travolta's face donning the cover. She returns to the pages when she sees Judith at her mother's door. "Mom went with Rembrandt to Piggly Wiggly, so it's just us. What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she monotonously lies, and her older sister narrows her eyes as if to read her. She steps into the bedroom and immediately, Vera lifts her chin to watch her. "What? I said I'm fine."

"How was the ice cream?" She folds her arms beside the bed, staring down at Vera who's laying on the edge with her left leg dangling.

"It was fine." Vera flips the page and Judith rolls her eyes before turning her back to her. She sits across from her with her gaze fixed on the open door. "Could you get out? I really wanna be alone."

"Does Mom know you have this?" Judith glances at the magazine, then at her. Vera shoots her a dark look, beginning to feel annoyed.

"Does she know about the playgirl magazines under your mattress," Vera asks with a sharp tone and as Judith's eyes widen, she returns hers to the pages.

"What were you doing snooping under my mattress," she raises her voice and Vera shuts her eyes while taking a deep breath. She slams the magazine shut then flings it to her right.

"You sure know how to piss someone off." Judith watches Vera push herself to her feet while glaring at her. "I was in there looking for Jackie and before you flip your lid, this was before you snapped at me and said not to go in your room. Also, I know you won't care, but I found him in the cabinet eating at the pop tart boxes."

"Well, I've told you multiple times to stay out of my room, and who do you think you're talking to?" Judy towers over her and they glare at each other like two bears fighting for dominance. Vera scans her from her afro to her shoes and shakes her head.

"You've always been selfish," she says in a softer voice and Judith lowers her eyebrows. "But I guess it took Dad dying for you to get worse. I often wonder if he'd have been here if it were you that died instead."

"And I wonder how life would've been if Mom and Dad stopped trying for kids after having me." Vera flares her nostrils as her mouth fidgets and she rolls her teary eyes. Judith feels her heart skip a beat and drop into her stomach. "Vera, I'm sorry."

"I didn't realize I was such a burden on y'all," she softly says and after she wipes her face with her palms, she forces a smile. "But it's fine, don't apologize. I never needed you as a sister anyway; I have Stacey."

Judy folds her arms as Vera takes a step back with her eyes locked on hers. She turns around and as she walks toward the stairs, Judith leans against the door with her face buried in her dainty hands. She swears under her breath, lowers her arms, and exhales a weary sigh.

Just let her go, Judy.

She steps into the hall and glares at the stairs.

I'm selfish but I spent the night watching her sleep so she couldn't kill herself.

Judith steps toward her bedroom door without taking her attention off the banister.

I saved her from the torture Stevie's going through, but I'm selfish? The hospital is a piece of cake compared to what they'll do to him in Red Cave, and she's so ignorant. Maybe I should've let her get taken away by the paramedics.

Judith sits her hand on the knob and its cold surface steals her gaze. She turns it and as she presses the door, her eyes peer through the slowly growing crack. She notices someone in blue jeans and a white shirt standing at her window with hair as big as cotton candy. As the stream of light hits him, his black afro turns sandy red.