Chapter Sixty-seven

Jerome and Judith are standing behind the television, looking down at Sheryl and Rembrandt on the sofa. Her uncle Otis - Walter's brother - is leaning against the wall next to the kitchen arch with his arms crossed.

"And I know it's not completely dark yet, but I couldn't just let her walk home alone," Jerome explains, but Sheryl doesn't take her eyes off her daughter, who's holding her head down. "But now that she's here, um, I'll head home."

"Why're you wearing his shirt?" A breath catches in Judy's chest, and she lifts her chin, meeting her mother's stern gaze. Glancing at Jerome for help, he purses his lips without an answer.

"I was cold - so he gave it to me- the sweatshirt," she stammers over the blatant lie, and her heart skips a beat when Sheryl scoffs.

"Young man, I think it's best you leave," Rembrandt warns him when he notices his niece's mood shift. Jerome takes a breath, sitting his hand against the small of Judith's back.

"I'll catch you later." She nods into his warm eyes and watches him stroll to the front door. When he shuts it on his way out, Sheryl takes a shaky breath.

"Mom, I'm sorry for bringing him by unannounced," Judith drags her words, and Otis blinks his attention on his suede shoes. Rembrandt narrows his sights on her, attempting to figure her out. "I told him I was fine, but he insisted, and --"

"Never mind that, Judy." Sheryl waves her hand to dismiss her apology, then she sighs and straightens her posture. "I need to tell you something."

Judith notices the sadness in her dark browns, and her fingers twitch at her sides as she scans the room.

Wait, why is Uncle Otis here? Shouldn't he be at Stacey's?

"What's going on," she hesitates before asking, her voice cracking and her heart banging in her chest. Grief creeps across her vision, and tears threaten to spill. "Is Stacey okay?"

"Stacey's fine, but," Sheryl stops herself with her mouth open, and Judith notices her neck spasming as she struggles to remain calm.

"But what?" Rembrandt lowers his head when Judith glances at him, and Otis does the same. "Could someone please tell me what's going on?"

"Ja'liyah passed away." Judith stares at her Uncle Otis' burgundy turtleneck, and a gasp strikes her throat. A lump begins to form, and she repeatedly narrows her eyes. "She passed a half-hour ago and - your uncle is leaving for Montgomery, but he wanted to leave you with a few of her things."

"This has to be a sick joke, right?" She slowly veers her head to her mother, and when she notices tears falling from her lashes, Judith chuckles dryly. "She and I talked, like, last night. You have to be mistaken."

"I'm sorry, Judy," Sheryl merely says, choking off her apology. Rembrandt sits his hand on hers as she brings the other hand over her mouth.

Judith glances at Otis, watching his streams of anguish flood down his cheeks. She takes an unsteady breath and licks her lips before pulling them into a grin.

"That's okay. It's okay. I'm gonna go to bed." She steps toward the stairs, and when she grips the railing in her left hand, Sheryl sniffles.

"Do you want me to heat a plate of the baked spaghetti for you," Sheryl asks, and Judith shakes her head instead of speaking to avoid crying. "Alright, um, your kidney pills are on the counter in the kitchen. I picked them up from the pharmacy today."

"Okay, good night," Judith rushes the words from her mouth, and her voice cracks.

She speed walks to her room and slams the door behind her, leaning against it for support. Her lungs hastily draw oxygen that refuses to stay long enough for her to remain on her feet, so her legs give out.