Chapter Forty-three

Droplets of sweat ski down Judith's nose bridge, and looking beside her, she sees that the sun has the same effect on Cyrus and Juniper. Juniper's hood is up, which visibly worsens the heat for her; sweat pools around the creases of her neck and under her arms.

"Fuck Dean O'Connell and fuck this campus," Judith, Juniper, and Cyrus chant in the middle of the front field. They've garnered the attention of fifteen white students, but the smiles on their faces indicate that they find it amusing.

"Cyrus, I don't think we're doing anything other than giving these people a show," Judith loudly tells him.

"Yeah? Well, it doesn't take long for word to spread," he says as Juniper continues without them. "Don't give up just yet."

"What're you doing?" Judith turns her head left, and among the crowd of people is Mary holding her stolen journal. Judy's eyes grow wide as she approaches Mary with her mouth shut, leaving Juniper and Cyrus to shout alone.

"Is that," Judy stops herself and glances into Mary's blue eyes, then down at the smirk across her lips.

"I got it from Davie," she says over the yelling with her arm extended. Judy yanks the black book out of her hand while glaring at her.

"Stop calling him that!" Mary chuckles dryly with her brows drawn together.

"You're still head over heels in love with him?" She waits for a response, but when she's not given one, she shrugs. As her eyes glaze over, she says, "Well, you know the saying: Nigger love is stronger than Whiskey."

Judith slams her journal near her left foot, then mashes her hands into Mary's chest, pushing her to the ground. She knocks the wind out of her lungs, and those around them gasp, including Juniper and Cyrus.

"Oh, my God," one of the female onlookers yells. Judith curls her hands into fists, and Mary holds herself upright with her elbows under her. "I told you they're rioting!"

Five women run away from the scene. Three of them make a beeline for the administration building, and the other two rush to the other end of the campus.

"Judith, what're you doing," Cyrus asks as he cautiously moves toward her. He stands beside her, and she doesn't answer him. She's trembling, her heart is pounding, her face is burning red, and her lips are scrunched. "What happened to peaceful protesting?"

"That went out the window when she called me a - when she used a slur," Judith yells, and he looks down at Mary, who's rapidly shaking her head, her eyes big and full of fear.

"Okay, that happens." Judith darts her head to him, and he raises his hands in submission. Mary glances at the crowd for help. "Listen, I'm not saying it's right, but I've been called worse things by worse people. She's a nobody, okay?"

"No! Not okay," Judith looks at her, and Mary catches her gaze. Cyrus peeks at Juniper, and she's staring with her lips agape and her eyebrows furrowed. "No one's ever called me that before, and I'm not gonna let it become normal. She was supposed to be my friend, but no. She went behind my back and fucked the same guy she told me was no good for me!"

Judith jerks her right leg back, then swings her foot into Mary's left thigh, making her yelp and crash to her back. Cyrus' eyes shoot open wider and he throws his arms around Judith's waist, backing her away from Mary.

"Uh, heads up! The fat man's coming in hot," Junipers alerts them, and everyone looks behind the crowd at Dean O'Connell. He's storming toward the scene with malice in his eyes, sweat beading on his forehead, and the three women in tow.

"What the hell is this about some riot happening on my campus," he yells, and as Mary pushes herself to her feet, Cyrus releases Judith and they step back. He stops behind the crowd, and they form a path wide enough for him to look through at the three activists standing together.