Chapter Twenty-three

The rainstorm has worsened over time, bringing the campus and Palmetto County to a halt. Jerome and Judith are sitting in the student lounge by the window, watching the dark and gloomy atmosphere through the glass.

They're among a small group of people who're hoping for clear skies again. Raindrops splatter onto their shared window, and they trickle into the short patch of grass below. Her bookbag is resting under the tall table beneath their feet.

"It's beautiful, isn't it," he asks without taking his eyes off of the scene. Judith's arms are around her trembling body, and she darts her irises toward him.

"What're you - an art major? It's cold as shit, and I'm not physically or emotionally built for this." Jerome sniggers and meets her gaze. "Can I wear your sweatshirt?"

"I would let you, but I'm not wearing anything underneath it," he tells her, and she shrugs.

"You're a guy," she reminds him with a dry chuckle. "I'm pretty sure no one would say anything."

"You're already wearing a jacket." Judith narrows her eyes at him. His smile drops along with his face, and he returns his attention to the view in front of them. "So, do you, uh, have any plans for the rest of your Thursday when you leave here?"

"If I leave here. This rain doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon," Judy says, her attention on the scene in front of them. "But if I do, my Dad and I made plans to go to Dairy Queen for a little dad-and-daughter time."

"That's dope, Judy. Does he live with you, or are you driving to him," he asks, and her smile fades.

"I don't - drive." Jerome watches Judith look at her hands, and he follows her gaze. "But, yeah, he lives with us; me, my Mom, and my twin sister and brother."

"Can I ask why you don't drive, or should I lay off the questions for now?" She feels warm and safe looking into his deep brown irises. His grin widens as she feels a sense of familiarity.

"I don't think you want to hear about it. It's pretty heavy," Judith warns him, and he shrugs with his lower lip pouted.

"It can't be anything more intense than what I've already seen and heard," he assures her, then glances at her agape lips. She looks down at her fingers and takes a deep, shaky breath.

"I had an older brother - his name was Michael, but we called him Mikey. He was really sweet and protective over me." She briefly smiles at the memory of him. "He wanted to teach me how to ride a bike, but he passed away before he could."

"I'm so sorry for your loss," Jerome softly tells her, and as her hands swipe her cheeks of falling tears, she shakes her head.

"It's fine." Judith licks her lips, then draws the bottom one between her teeth. "Um, well, I let that passion go, and my Dad was supposed to help me learn to drive, but he's been busy with work. I'm hoping maybe after we get ice cream and talk, he'll have more time for me."

"I'll pray that it works out for you." She smiles at him, and they turn to gaze out of the window at the same time. "Looks like the storm is getting a little better. Should I walk you to the sorority?"

"You don't have to." She jolts onto her feet, and he stands to his as well. Judith looks him up and down, then sniggers at their height difference; He towers over her by a foot and two inches.

"I was only asking because I didn't know if that's where you wanted to go. There's no way I'm letting you walk out there by yourself," he explains, then steps past her. She follows him with her eyes.

"I don't think I need to be escorted through the dark," she tells him while walking behind him toward the doors. He stands to the side with his left hand pushing the left door open, releasing a rush of wind that sends chills up her spine.