Chapter Forty-nine

Judith's lying across her bed with her face aimed at her window and her left hand hiding her stream of tears.

Ja'liyah stops behind the door and leans against the arch. She nervously picks at the dirt under her nails with her hands in front of her stomach and her eyes on them.

"I suppose now isn't a good time for me to chew you out for letting Prince Charming go like that," she asks without looking at her.

"Go away and leave me alone," Judith whines before her storm of sadness envelops her. Her shoulders rack, and her breath catches in her chest multiple times as she struggles to avoid sobbing in front of her.

"Suit yourself," she says before dropping her arms and raising her brows. "I just happen to be a damn good listener and problem solver — or so I've been told."

Ja'liyah takes slow steps to the end of the hall, waiting for her to stop her. Judith lies in silence, other than the occasional snivel, before pushing herself upright and looking at her through the arch.

Though she doesn't speak, the puppy-dog look in her eyes invites Ja'liyah in. She steps over the threshold with quick strides and a smile that instantly changes.

She slows her feet, and her mouth hangs open without happiness as she scans every corner and surface of the spacious room. Judith watches her sluggishly approach the bed and sit on the edge.

"I don't mean to stare. It's just," she stops herself and takes a shaky breath. "I have a lot of memories in this room."

"What?" Ja'liyah meets her confused, teary gaze.

"Remember when we were around five or so, it was Easter Sunday, and Uncle Walter let me stay the night instead of just going to the Bamford Hotel in Sumter with my parents?" Judith's eyes glaze onto her dresser in thought. "Well, it's probably called something else now, but this was when Vera's room was Stacey's, and Michael and Wayne had Stevie's room."

"Then why'd my Mom introduce us like we didn't know each other," Judy asks as she turns back to her.

"Well, she wasn't here at that time. Some say she was in the hospital," she responds with a shrug. She gazes around the room again.

"And what do others say?" She looks at Judith. She takes a breath, her eyes downcast as if she doesn't want to answer. "What?"

"Uncle Richie thinks she was committed to someplace called – Blue Sea or Black – something. I don't know," she struggles to remember.

Red Cave?

"Ja'liyah," Sheryl calls for her from the bottom of the stairs. They look through the doorway. "Your Dad needs you to go with him to Piggly Wiggly before y'all head to Stacey's."

"Well, that's my cue." She stands up and looks down at her cousin with her lips pursed into a straight line. "I'll see you later, hopefully. We're staying with your sister and her family, so I shouldn't be too far for us to talk. Swing by if you need me, please."

When Judith silently nods, she nods back and then walks toward the hall.

"Ja'liyah," Sheryl impatiently calls her again, much louder than the first time.

"Coming, Aunt Sheryl!" She jogs toward the staircase, and Judith lies on her back. She stares at the ceiling and the grey light bowl with the sunlight against her face.

So she was in the asylum too. That explains why she wields that place against me whenever she can't get her way. I wonder what she did. Maybe it was because of Dad? Dad...

Judith feels her throat tense at the thought of him, so she leans onto her right side and draws her knees to her chest for comfort. Staring at her still drapes with her right hand under her head like a pillow, she allows her mind to wander.