Chapter Eighty-two

"Wow," Jerome mumbles followed by a deep breath. Judith shakes her head while staring at the wall across from them. "I'm so sorry, Judy."

"It's fine. Well, not really, obviously, but I'm learning to just – give it to God. Give them to God." He nods in agreement, and she turns her mouth to the right as she grinds her teeth against her inner cheek. "I suppose I understand why Stevie was so angry with me for a while. It's frustrating feeling helpless especially when it seems like death runs in our family. God, I'm just – tired. Literally and figuratively."

"You didn't sleep last night?" When she shakes her head, he asks, "Was it the stress of him being here?"

"No. My sister tried to kill herself." He flares his eyes and shuts his mouth, so she corrects herself, "Well, not really. She pretended to because she thought it would bring her here with Stevie."

"Does she not know they're guarded on this side," he asks, and she shakes her head. "Well, she's a kid, so I guess it makes sense. Isn't she, like, twelve?"

"Thirteen." She blinks three times fast to force herself to not fall asleep. "Even if we explained it a hundred times, I doubt it would get through. They're twins so I understand why they're so close, but –"

"I'm sorry for cutting you off, but I don't understand why people say that." Judith looks at him as he speaks. "Justin and I argue and yeah, we're close, but I don't think I'm like that with him."

"Why're you here," she finally asks and his already empty expression sinks. She draws her eyebrows in as he briefly lowers his head to his lap, before turning to the window. "What's wrong?"

"I caught Xavius drowning himself in the tub. Everyone was asleep, I had to use it and when I walked in," he stops speaking when his voice cracks, and she sits her hand on his, her thumb against the napkin around the pretzel.

"Does your mom know?" He shakes his head, and she asks, "What about your brother or your friends?"

"Judy, I'm here by myself with him. It was like three in the morning when he did that," he blurts out while returning his teary eyes to her sympathetic ones. "This was probably the third or fourth time he tried to drown himself and I'm constantly hoping that I can talk some sense into him. My mom already lost one child and if she loses him too, I don't know what'll happen."

"I can talk to him," she suggests, and he takes a deep, shaky breath while staring at the chairs against the wall in front of them. Doctors, nurses, and guests stroll down the hall in both directions and within the seven minutes of them speaking, no one's entered the lobby.

"No, you have enough to deal with and even if you didn't, it's not your problem. Besides, he's too stubborn; you'll talk for hours and when you think you helped, he does it again." Jerome flicks his left hand for emphasis on the situation.

"Well, what's his problem?" He shrugs his shoulders. "You have to know. I mean, he's your brother. You lived with him long enough to notice something off, I'm sure."

"If that's the case then why're your siblings off their rockers?" Before she can think of an answer, a tall white man steps toward them and they turn their heads to him. Jerome darts to his feet and Judith does the same, looking at his worried expression before watching the doctor.

"Mr. Berks, your brother's gonna be okay." Jerome exhales his hitched breath while lifting his left hand to his mouth.

"Thank God," Judith mumbles, placing her hand against Jerome's back.

"Our team managed to revive him so he should be awake soon," the dark-haired man continues, and Jerome lowers his hand to his side. He opens his mouth to speak then the doctor asks, "He's been admitted multiple times this year for these – accidents. Should I be concerned?"