Chapter Twenty-four

Kacey is leaning against her headboard, and Judith is sitting in her place. Her back is to the wall, her knees are to her chest, and her arms are holding them in place. She's staring at the floor between the beds, listening to the rain dripping on the windowpane.

Juniper, Kacey, Jennifer, and Veronica are staring at her, expecting her to continue explaining why she's discolored beneath her clothes, but all that she's mentioned is the accident.

Mary enters the room, holding a whole roll of tissue in her left hand, and hands it to her old friend. Judith's eyes climb Mary's torso until they land on the baby blues looking down at her with pity. Her hair is tucked behind her left ear and draping down her face on the other side.

Mary returns to her position on the bed as Judy slowly takes the roll into her hands.

"Are they still singing downstairs," Veronica asks, and Mary sniggers, then nods.

"They're blasting music from the little radio that Ms. Ethel gave them," she says. "I passed through when they started playing Candygirl. As much as I think that Frankie and his band are mouth-watering, there's only, but so much I can take of them."

"I dig it, girl," Veronica says with a humorous huff. "Those airheads serenaded me when I first walked down that hall. I absolutely hate the song Ronnie because of how many times I've heard it sang or played for me."

"It's so cute, though," Mary tells her, and they all share a laugh, except Judy. Judith wraps the strip of tissue around her hand and then tears it off the roll. "God, I wish someone would serenade me for a change. If Frankie Valli scooped me up one night and sang to me under the stars, I would be all his."

"You're funny." Veronica sniggers and Judith smiles under the tissue cleaning her face.

"Fuck, Marry, Kill?" Mary sits with her legs crossed and her hands on her knees. They exchange glances to see who wants to go first.

"Are we doing singers or anyone," Juniper asks, and they glance at her.

Does Mary know that she's with Derek now?

"Singers but based on one song." Mary smiles. Juniper takes a breath and opens her mouth, ready to respond.

"I would fuck Bootsy Collins because of Roto-rooter or Munchies for your love," Veronica interrupts her. Jennifer and Kacey nod and hum in agreement. "Marry Little Anthony because of Tears on my pillow, and kill – The Commodores because of the song Brick House."

"What, why," Kacey asks. They look at Veronica, who's shaking her head with her lips pursed.

"I can't get past that song. All they talk about is a woman's shape and I like meaningful, poetic lyrics." She shakes her head. "I don't know."

Kacey and Jennifer look at each other, then say in unison, "It's 'cause that lady's stacked and that's a fact."

"Shut up. Oh, my God," Veronica says with a chuckle and hides her cleavage behind her crossed arms. They laugh together. "Who do y'all choose? Damn."

"I would fuck The Commodores," Kacey says through sustained laughter. Veronica playfully rolls her eyes with a scoff. Juniper, Mary, and Judith snigger. "I would marry Frankie Lymon, and I would kill James and Bobby Purify."

"Both of 'em," Jennifer asks through laughter. Tears are sitting on the brims of her eyes as she looks at Kacey.

"Yeah," Kacey says with an incredulous tone and scoffs. She leans into her sister and cackles into her shoulder. "I'm sorry, but I don't want a man who's a puppet for me. I'm not a marionettist."