Chapter 3: Awkward

3RD PERSON'S POV

The four headed inside the restaurant but to their dismay, the two who planned out the double date forgot to make a reservation and now here they stood, looking for a table where they can sit in while a crew is leading them to some vacant tables available for them.

"I'm sorry, Ma'am and Sir but all the tables for four people are occupied as of the moment." The crew repeatedly apologized at them as the restaurant is indeed full of people tonight.

As Rin and Takeomi were discussing things on the front desk, the two ex-lovers stood beside each other, looking sideways and avoiding any possible interaction with the other. Shinichiro was uncomfortable the whole time as he kept shifting his weight to the other side then vice versa. He wanted to talk to her so bad. To be able to talk to her like before. To be able to be close to her like before. But he knows he can't do it without chickening out. What can he say? It's his ex he's trying to impress. He would for sure chicken out. And now, only his nervousness is taking over him for thinking ways of starting a conversation with the girl beside him.

"Hey you guys. Is it alright if we take two separate tables?" The pair at the front turned to their two friends for approval.

This made Shinichiro's heart jump in excitement, thinking that he'll get to have an alone time with the girl. Then maybe he could try to converse with her during dinner so without a second thought, he nodded his head in agreement and turned to the H/C haired girl beside him who only waved her hand at the front, dismissing the thought to which her friend caught up to with a nod. With a huge smile, she turned back to the crew excitingly.

"Alrighty! Two tables for two then!"

They were led at the second floor where two tables for two people are located near the window. The four sat down and started scanning through the menu. Once they were done telling their orders, Y/N stared out the window with her chin resting on her palm and elbow on the table, trying to ignore the awkward silence between her and her date while the two couple behind her are already chatting about all kinds of things about themselves. Shinichiro, on the other hand who sat across Y/N cleared his throat and the girl immediately noticed his discomfort.

"Y/N—"

"Don't bother." The raven haired man wanted to scold her so bad for cutting him off since earlier but she continued, only making him sigh in defeat seeing as the girl had no plans of engaging into a conversation with him during their date. "We're both just here to accompany a friend. I'm not here to take this seriously so worry not."

It had been total silence between the two of them the whole time with both just staring at anything but each other. That is until their food were served and Rin took notice of the intense silence on the table behind her. She turned to them with a frown on her face. She's only aware that Y/N had her heart broken before by a guy but she never knew who it was as the girl would only brush the topic aside so she has no knowledge of what was running in the heads of the two.

"Oi you two! Talking is great sometimes, you know." She pointed at them with her eyes squinted at her friend. Her date also popped to the side, eyeing the two who were awkward with each other's company.

It was too embarrassing for the two that all Y/N could do was sigh and turn to the side as the man in front of her laughed shyly and apologized. When the two turned their backs at them and continued with their own business in their date, the raven haired man looked at the H/C haired girl who had her eyes on the food as she started digging in. Once again, he breathed in and out to calm himself down before clearing his throat to vanish the lump forming in his throat.

"S-So, how have you been?" He started.

"Fine." He gulped visibly at her response.

'She clearly doesn't want to be around me.'