Chapter 14: Hope

SHINICHIRO'S POV

From afar, I can already see Y/N's friend, Suzuki running to us while waving her hand in the air.

"Hey you guys!"

"Hey Rin!" Takeomi greeted with the same enthusiasm. However, my eyes trailed behind her, hoping for a familiar H/C hair to pop out but to my dismay, I see no one following from behind. She must've noticed my reaction that she quickly stated the answer to the question in my mind.

"I'm sorry! Y/N can't come with us today." She bowed in apology and my shoulders immediately slumped back down, feeling my hope drain down.

"Why not?"

"She had some uhhh stuff to do. Sorry, I actually forgot to text her about the meet up today so she didn't get to clear her schedule for the day. Like what I told you before, she's a pretty busy person involving their family's business." She scratched the back of her head while giving me guilty looks and I looked away, feeling dejected. It's been days already and I had not seen her even for just a second. I don't know how even though we both live in the same city, there should still be a possibility that we run into each other... unless she's trying to avoid me.

Why do I feel like Y/N just doesn't want to see me?

"Aww that sucks. Will you be fine, Shin?" Takeomi turned to me with a concerned look, knowing I'll be thirdwheeling them without Y/N around to accompany her friend and I only nodded my head.

"Yeah, of course."

We started to walk away from the school gates with the two of them in front of me, leading the way as they converse with each other happily. But I noticed that Suzuki's been glancing at me from time to time making me give her a confused look. When she noticed she got my attention, she smiled and spoke up.

"Hey Sano, can I talk to you for a sec?" I nod my head and she turned to Takeomi, asking him if it's alright to have a one on one talk with me and he immediately approved of it as she pulled me a few steps back away from him.

"What is it?"

"Y/N had told me about you two." She spoke in a low voice and my eyes widen at her words.

"Sh-She did?" I never thought that Y/N would talk about me especially with how she has treated me a few days back. She was so cold and even told me that she's forgotten about what happened already. She proved me that what happened before between the two of us no longer affected her so I expected her to not bring up anything related to it by now.

"Say, if you guys were exes. Why did you request for her to come? Don't you like you know... hate her?" Suzuki raised a brow at me and for a moment, I felt a lump forming in my throat as I try to think of the right words to say. Why did I want to see her again anyway? Again, Mikey's words rang in my head.

"Why do you act as if she didn't cheat on you before?"

Why? After all these years, it's still her that lingers in my mind. No matter how many times I try to convince myself to hate her but my heart keeps telling me to do otherwise. A part of me had always hoped that it was just a mistake and that she would never do such a thing to me. A part of me continued to think that she loved me truly.

And that's what's been pushing me to give in to my desire to be with her again.

"I... I don't know. It happened a long time ago so..." I stutter and Suzuki only gave me an unconvinced look making me panic deep inside. "I don't mean I forgot about it already because I still think of it from time to time but when I saw her again, I just uhh... felt the need to talk to her, I guess?" I saw her expression soften as she stare at me. Then her eyes shifted to Takeomi who stood a few steps away from us. When he noticed her looking his way, he flashed her a wide smile and waved like a kid.

For a second, I saw a memory of Y/N doing the same to me when we were in high school. It was the time we started getting closer and closer to each other that everytime we are to see each other, our excitement just exceeds unexpected heights. Oh how I missed seeing her like that.

"Do you wanna see her?" My heart leaped from my chest when I heard Suzuki ask. I turn to her wide eyed as she only deadpanned at me.

"I..."

"She's at the library." I didn't even get to finish my answer. It's like she knew in an instant what I really wanted to say and just blurted out her friend's location immediately. However, I gave her a questioning look.

"Why? Aren't you mad at me? You're her friend and I... hurt her." If she already knew what happened before, shouldn't she be mad at me for breaking Y/N's heart? Suzuki's lips then formed into a genuine smile as if nothing wrong happened between me and her bestfriend.

"Everytime Y/N talks about her past with you, she would always remind me not to hate you. She respects you, you know." She paused before turning her back at me and faced Takeomi's direction. "And I hope you do, too." She gave me another smile and I felt my heart drop at her words.

Y/N really does talk about me. And she never hated me. I felt my eyes getting warm at the thought of it. For four years I've been forcing myself to hate her to forget her but even though I left her at such a state, she still managed to care for me and even reminded her bestfriend who's supposed to be defending her to not hate me. Somehow, it pains me to realize that she's always been like that. A forgiving person no matter how hurt she gets. I nearly forgot that it is one of the reasons why I've fallen for her fast. It spiked my hopes up making me think she probably still see me the same way as before.

Maybe... just maybe... maybe we can still fix everything between us?

"So go to her and catch up with everything you missed with each other. I just know that there's so much more that you guys need to find out." She then walked back to Takeomi who's waiting for us.

"T-Thank you." I mumbled and she only waved her hand. "Thank you so much!" I bowed before turning my back at them and running towards the school's entrance.

"SHIN?! Where are you going?!" I heard Takeomi shouting from behind. I turn around grinning happily before waving at the two of them while Suzuki only smiled while waving back.

"ENJOY YOUR DATE!!" I shouted and continued to rush inside their school, ignoring the fact that I shouldn't even be allowed to enter.

I quickly made my way to every floor and eyed every door, looking for the library. It only took me awhile and I finally found the right room. I immediately entered and eyed the whole area in search for a certain someone. It wasn't hard to look for her as the library isn't filled with too many students at the moment and in the corner of my eye, I spot a familiar H/C hair. I felt my mood lighten up and I walk towards her.

She wasn't able to notice my presence as her eyes are glued to her laptop's screen. However as I near her, I noticed something wrapped around her shoulder connected to her left arm. This made me crease my eyebrows as I take in her appearance. Her eye... is covered with a patch and she looked restless and weak. My heart dropped at the sight of her. There's no denying it.

She was clearly beaten up.