Chapter 36: Promise

SHINICHIRO'S POV

"You really had the nerve to date her? An enemy at that??" I sighed when Saito started pushing the subject about me and Y/N. I don't know what's with people going against us all the time but I won't let go of her again no matter what.

"You know nothing, Saito. And didn't I already cut the deal between Black Dragon and Kuro Tenshi? We are no longer allies nor enemies." Well that is unless, they try to pick a fight with us, I won't back out anyway. I knew forming an alliance with Kuro Tenshi will be up to no good. I should've just listened to what my instincts told me before. I was hoping for a positive outcome.

"You only cut the deal because you've fallen for that stupid girl!" I gritted my teeth at how he addressed Y/N to keep my composure. It pisses me off of how he's pertaining to her in that manner but I can't let my emotions get to me in this situation.

"Y/N is out of this. Kuro Tenshi was the first one to break the rules of our deal."

"You're a bastard, you know that?" He glared at me and I looked at him, confused. "After what you've done to my sister, do you really have no shame nor regret in you??" I blinked twice at the sudden change of subject. Saito isn't really in the right state of his mind to be dealing with us. He isn't stable enough to handle his sister's death and kept blaming me. I thought we would be fine if I agreed to the alliance but I was wrong.

"It isn't my fault she's gone, Saito and you know that."

"It is your fault." He stated and I took a deep breath to calm myself. "Break up with that girl if you have a little bit of respect towards my dead sibling, Sano." I felt something snap in me when he commanded me to do something I'd never dare to.

"I am NOT breaking up with Y/N just because you can't accept the truth. How many times have I tried to convince you?" There was a moment of silence ashe stare at me with pure tension building up. Suddenly, he broke into a humourless laugh.

"So that's how it's gonna be." He laughed, shaking his head in disappointment when he noticed I'm not backing down from my words. Glaring at me, he added.

"I swear... I won't let you two live happily together. Remember that, Sano."

As that memory flashed in my mind, I watched Y/N eating in front of me and feeling an uneasy and heavy feeling in me due to Saito's threat, I looked at her worriedly.

"N/N."

"Hm yeah?" She raised her eyes from the food to meet mine.

"You're no longer in Higanbana so that means your deal with them is done too." I started. She joined Higanbana for protection but now that she's out of tthe group, that just means she's not under their wing anymore thus increasing her exposure to dangerous situations especially now that Saito has set his eyes on her.

"Yeah, what about it?" She nodded.

"I promise you that the Black Dragon will protect you if someone tries to harm you. So never hesitate to tell me anything, okay?" Somehow remembering Saito's words made me feel threatened now that I found out about her situation. I can't protect her all by myself if anything bad were to happen and I hate myself for that. I don't even know what Saito has in mind to fulfill that threat.

I don't know what the Black Dragons will think of this either as I've already told them about my plan of disbanding as we already reached the top. But Y/N...

"Nichi... you don't really need to do that." She shook her head. "It was childish of me to depend on a gang for protection. I was just desperate back then. I was scared of losing someone again." Her voice trailed off as she looked down to her plate.

"I lost you back then, didn't I? And after that, I lost both Gramps and Dad at the same time." I felt my heart break at the sadness laced in her voice. She had told me earlier about his father and grandfather who were the most close to her in the family and it was clear to me that she's still heartbroken by the sudden disappearance of her loved ones. And it's too bad that it all happen when I wasn't by her side to shoulder it with her. "I was scared I'd lose my brother too at that time and even possible my nephew." I almost forgot that her sister in law was pregnant by the time she joined the Higanbana.

She cared for them so much.

She always cares too much that I'm starting to feel mad that she's doing everything by herself to help them.

She looked up and plastered a smile on her face. It was a sweet and reassuring one that engulfed me in a warm and loving feeling. The smile that pulls me out of my worries as if she's told me she can manage it perfectly fine.

"But everything will be fine now, right? I'm pretty sure they won't try anything funny after the stunt the Black Dragons pulled earlier." She chuckled and I shook my head in amusement. Wakasa and the others must've kicked their asses by now. Sad enough that I wasn't able to join the fight but at least I get to spend my time with her again. "But I promise to tell you anything. I'll make this work for us, as well." My eyes widened at her promise and I can't help but smile at her lovingly, knowing she'll keep her words once she's said it.

As we continue eating, she asked.

"Say, tomorrow morning. Will you come home with me? I'd like to introduce you to Mom and Gin once again and even my sister in law and nephew." I felt my heart skip a beat in excitement, wanting to do that exact thing. It's been days since we got together and I don't know if her family is already aware of our relationship now. I would really love to meet them again and even apologize for what happened before but—

"Are you sure they'll accept me again?" I hurt her and left her broken before. Will it really be alright for me to show up all of a sudden as if nothing happened?

However, Y/N shrugged her shoulders, pushing the thought away as she answered.

"Well they have no choice because you're the only man I'm going to marry soon."