Chapter 31: Internal Conflict

3RD PERSON'S POV

As soon as Shinichiro opened the door, he was greeted by an injured brunette who's struggling on standing on the ground.

"Akio?! What are you doing??" Letting go of Yumi, he quickly went to Akio's side to assist him back to the bed.

"Sano... You need to stop Y/N." He gripped Shinichiro's sleeve tight, enduring the pain that suddenly striked his sore body.

"What? Where is she? She's supposed to be here to assist you." The raven haired man roamed his eyes around the four walls of the room but spot no familiar girl he's been longing to see. Turning back to Akio, he noticed that he didn't give a reply to him and instead looked down as he sat on the side of the bed.

"Sano... do you remember that thing you wanted me to investigate?" Akio started with different thoughts swirling in his head in worry. He recalled everything that happened before he was sent to the hospital due to his injuries.

He was almost in the meeting place when he passed by the dark alleyway nearby. There, he heard an oddly familiar voice talking in the corner with someone. Unconsciously, his instincts told him to hide and he did, feeling the strong pull to listen to their conversation as if he could gain something from it.

"But Danzai you promised to give me her position if I did what you told me to!" That voice. Akio could've sworn that voice belongs to someone in the same unit as him within the gang and he wasn't wrong the moment Danzai replied.

"My decision is final, Uyeda. Y/N will be of lot use than you if she agrees to my command. I just need to push her more." Akio could feel the nervousness building up in him as he kept as quiet as he could manage while trying to peek at the two people.

"No! I can still do more! Tonight, I can—"

"Enough." He flinched together with Uyeda who stood in front of Danzai who had used a dark tone to silence him. "I might've wanted her out of the gang because of the connections that she has with the former members is being a hindrance to my plans and I gave you a chance to kick her out in our previous battle."

"I was supposed to hit both her and the leader of Black Dragon that night! If I had succeeded, Higanbana would surely rise." Akio's eyes widen and he took a step back when Danzai's eyes snapped to his direction.

"But you failed, didn't you?" However, out of Akio's sight, Danzai smiled mischievously when he realized someone close to Y/N had just heard their conversation. "But I don't completely disagree with your plan. After all, because of that, she was able to be closer to their leader."

With a shaky breath, Akio started to explain everything he knew about the girl's relation to the Higanbana Gang.

"Higanbana's original aim was to maintain peace and deal with the other delinquents. That goal was carried on to the third generation to which Gin happened to be one of the captains, causing Y/N to have connections with them and had kept that goal with her."

"But Danzai had other intentions with the gang the moment he became the leader. And he's always treated Y/N as a threat." Akio wasn't dumb nor was he blind to not take notice of how Danzai sees the girl to which Y/N ignored for a long time in hopes of carrying on Higanbana's original goal.

"The reason Y/N is only a vice captain is because Tomoe is keeping her under his wing. He's a shitty person but he was the one who convinced her into the mess so he's taking responsibility." A sidden memory flashed at the back of his head causing him to gulp as he recalls Tomoe's behavior. "But last time when they beat her up, he was completely out of it. He looked like he was going crazy over beating his own vice captain. So I thought he might be the one who injected her that medicine at the fight."

"But I was wrong. I have been keeping an eye on the wrong person." He whispered and Shinichiro listened to his words intently, processing everything in his mind to understand the situation. And though it's still confusing to him as the details are new to him, he knows something wrong is going on within their gang.

"Druing the battle when you and Y/N were talking, the guy who tried to attack you was Uyeda. But he wasn't only aiming at you." Akio recalled Uyeda's words last night when he eavesdropped on their conversation.

"He was originally aiming to critically injure Y/N."

"He always wanted to be at a higher position but it was taken from him when Y/N joined." He remembers clearly the moment Uyeda almost became the attack unit's vice captain until Y/N was personally recommended by Tomoe, himself.

Shin clenched his jaw in anger, trying to calm himself down. He remembers that guy. Even he wasn't able to notice his aim at that time. If Y/N hadn't successfully grabbed the weapon from him, she would've been in a critical condition in that fight.

"Sano... Y/N still doesn't know about this. She might be in danger by now."

"What do you mean?" His brows furrowed and heart atarted beating faster in nervousness, feeling his stomach churn in an odd way.

"Y/N was originally ordered to infiltrate your gang but refused otherwise... and I know it's because of you that she decided not to." Shinichiro's eyes widen in shock at what he just heard. Y/N never mentioned anything about it to him.

'Infiltrate the Black Dragon?'

'Y/N?'

But before he could ask further questions, Akio had beat him to it.

"That's the reason she was beaten up badly the other day. But I know it wasn't the only reason for that because some have used it as an excuse just to lay a hit on her. And I'm afraid they'd do it again this time because a lot are in favor of Danzai by now." Akio doesn't know what the members saw in Danzai but he knows they're satisfied with his ways... and he's not liking it.

"Y/N... she went to meet them. I don't know what she meant by ending it but I have a bad feeling about this." The raven haired man's heart sank assoon as those words left Akio's mouth.

He's glad that Y/N did not try to go against him but the thought of her trying to fix things alone without even trying to share the burden with him is threatening for him. It felt like the new her flashed in front of his eyes once again. The one who wouldn't bother asking for someone's help.

"You need to hurry." He blinked as he was pulled back to reality when Akio gripped his wrist tight with a worried look on his face.

'Is he asking me to go after her?'

"W-What about you and Yumi?"

"We'll be fine. Y/N needs you tonight." Akio pushed him slightly.

Finally, composing himself, Shinichiro put on a determined look on his face.

'This is not the time to get depressed over Y/N's choices. She has her reasons and I'll hear it when I see her.' He thought as he convince himself that everything will turn out right.

"I'll bring her back with me."