Chapter 15

Anaya POV:

My mind was whirring and spinning as I absently watched the buildings disappear as Caden sped through the streets driving to god knows where. My fingers were nervously fumbling with the edge of my dress as my mind filled with what had happened between us earlier.

I believed him... I truly did. When Caden told me he would let me in and tell me what he was hiding. In that moment, I saw a guy who was tired of hiding and fighting his demons alone. But a small part of me still couldn't believe that Caden was willing to let me in. Me... the person he tried so hard to hide things from, the person he seemed to have loathed from the start.

So why me and why now?

Biting my lip, I sneaked a glance at the boy sitting tensely beside me. He was looking ahead, seemingly too focused on driving but I knew better by now. He wasn't as composed as he let out. By now I could read the little things about Caden like a book. His posture was tense and his fingers were tightly clenched around the steering wheel.

It got me wondering whether I should ask him to just drop me home. Yes, I wanted to know the answer to the question; who was Caden King, but not at the expense of hurting him. And that's exactly what would happen if Caden let me in. Caden has been closed off for so long that letting someone into his world, into his life isn't going to be an easy task for him. For so long he has been only depending on himself, not trusting anyone around him. I wanted him to trust me, to be able to depend on me.

But I wanted him to tell me about himself because he wanted to, not because he felt pressured to. I could easily make up an excuse about the fortnight report or write something totally bogus, I thought. Then again, Caden was always in control of whatever happened in his life and around him. I doubt he was going to tell me everything for my own benefit.

Just as I opened my mouth to ask him to drop me home and that I had changed my mind, the car slowed down to a stop. Looking outside, we had stopped in front of a huge gate. In the middle, written in big bold font was 'kings'.

He brought me to his house?

Frowning I looked to him in question but Caden continued driving after the gates had opened without so much as a glance towards me. Looking ahead my mouth hung open at the view in front of me and only one word came to mind. Wow...

The King's sure took their name seriously because this might as well be a palace. The King mansion was huge. Everyone in town knew exactly where the King mansion was but not a lot of people have ever been inside unless invited.

By the time Caden stopped in front of the mansion, I was still looking at his place in total awe

By the time Caden stopped in front of the mansion, I was still looking at his place in total awe. I mean it was just three of them and still they lived in a mansion that probably had 20 bedrooms.

Opening of my door had me snapping out of my trance. Looking ahead, Caden stood holding the door as he waited for me to get off.

When did he get out? Obviously while I had been too busy gaping at the mansion like a fool, I thought.