Chapter 26

Caden POV:

Caden POV:

What else are you hiding?

Those words stirred something deep in me – the darkness lurking inside me.

Blood drips from my chin and body, pooling in the crimson streams that flow down the tiled floor below, disappearing inside the outlet.

My eyes fell on the drenched girl standing before me. Even in this state, she was the most gorgeous girl in my eyes. Dark haired beauty with icy blue eyes, she was all mine. But at the moment all I felt was dread as she stood waiting for me to answer her question; a question I had tried so hard to avoid and hide. I couldn't bring myself to look her in the eyes – not now.

Not after what she had seen me become.

At that moment, I was truly a monster – a reaper.

I could feel her icy blue eyes burning through to me but I couldn't for the life of me look her in the eye and lie to her. She deserved to know everything; to know the truth but I couldn't tell her that without losing her. And I couldn't have that – not now; not when she has come to mean so much to me. Call me selfish but losing her wasn't an option now.

Anaya was everything good in my life and to tell her about what she had witnessed tonight would be my own undoing. I couldn't have her look at me differently. I wouldn't be able to bare it. I already dealt with people giving me fucking judgmental eyes wherever I went, I wouldn't be able to see the same look of judgment and terror in the eyes of the girl who had regardless of everything, always seen the good in me. To have her view me same as others, would be like driving a knife through my heart.

I had never in a million years expected to see Anaya at the arena tonight. In that moment I had been so consumed by my inner beast that nothing else had mattered; in that moment I was truly the reaper people called me. Winning the match had meant everything to me and I had achieved that but I had let myself be lost to my inner demons; had allowed my mind to be consumed with the darkness and ended up losing control. The trash talk Bucky had spat out before the start of the fight didn't help my situation either. He got exactly what he deserved. But all that came at an expanse that I was paying for now.

But even while I was consumed with my demons her voice had pulled me out – calling out to me. Even with all the noise in there, even among hundreds of voices, I heard her angelic voice calling me. At that time, her voice had been so full of terror that I had hoped with everything inside me that it wasn't her; that my ears were playing tricks on me but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

I will never forget the look on her face the moment my eyes had fallen on her. So many emotions flashed on her face; terror, disbelief, horror, betrayal. That look on her face wasn't leaving my head anytime soon. And to think just minutes earlier, the same face was smiling at me and looking at me with so much adoration and wonder. I couldn't stand to see that look on the face of the girl who had come to mean so much to me. That just showed how royally I had fucked up. Anaya always saw the good in others and to have her see me like that was like a punch in the gut.