Chapter 28

- Merry Christmas People!!! - 

***************

***************

Anaya POV:

My heart thuds so furiously inside my chest that I fear it might break free from my body. My gaze remains unwavering as I observe the guy in front of me. He sat completely still, staring ahead into nothing. I do my best to not cower mid step seeing the look on his face.

Angry

Dark

Broken

And completely lost

Peering into his face, his glassy eyes stared ahead – into nothing. The coppery tang of blood mixed with another scent – one that I couldn't seem to place, tickles my nostrils. It's filling the air and making me sick to my stomach. Pushing the nausea at the back of my head, I focused all my attention to the man sitting before me. I notice that there is a small gash on his forehead, and his bottom lip is partially slit open on the side.

Did he get into a fight? My heart rate spiked at the thought.

What happened to him?

Lowering my gaze, my eyes find his hands, and I see that his knuckles are busted open and covered in so much blood, my suspicions instantly confirmed. Not being able to assess the damage done on his abdomen because of the dim light, I stepped further ahead, my feet seeming to have a mind of its own. My heels clicked against the hard wood floor; echoing around the room. Caden remained seated as he kept staring ahead. It was as if he was here, but just physically, while mentally, his mind was elsewhere.

Seeing him now – after so many days, he looked different. He looked less like the guy I had come to know and more like his old self. Sitting before me wasn't the guy I had fallen in love with. No – this was the man I had encountered in the hallway on the first day, and the man I had seen in the arena.

This was the reaper...

"Caden..." I tried calling out. From here I see his posture tense slightly, hearing my voice.

"You shouldn't be here." Caden's dark voice pierces through the air leaving a trail of goosebumps on my arm. Gone was the guy whose voice used to send a flutter of butterflies through me. The voice of this Caden sent a wave of chills shooting right down my spine. It's been a while since I heard him talk like this – without any emotion. Nervousness and fear snakes up my spine and tightens around my throat.

His body was tense – too tense.

"Caden, please... Talk to me." I begged, hoping he would let me in but all he did was continue looking ahead.