Chapter 17 (Part 2)

Caden POV:

Caden POV:

*A year ago*

Caroline...

That was the name of the woman I had killed. The woman whose face has been haunting me ever since; every second of the day, every day since then. The officers had told me everything about her while I was detained in the interrogation room as they tried to guilt trap me into confessing about working with Spike. Everyone in the department knew about Spike's illegal races and fight ring but no one ever had enough evidence to put him away. No one ever testified against him.

Even I knew better than to open my mouth.

Caden King was no snitch...

The only thing going through my head throughout the intensive interrogation was Caroline's face. She was a beautiful woman without a doubt but unfortunately the only image I had of her was her pale face that was covered in blood. The only memory forever embedded in my head of her was the image of her lying in a pool of blood, lacking any form of life and warmth. She was only 24 years old, working as a preschool teacher. The real punch in the gut was finding out she was supposed to get married in three months. Yet, all that had been taken away from her.

Snatched, away from her... By me.

Her face right before I had hit her was permanently tattooed in my brain. All the while the interrogation had lasted; I was lost, lost in my thoughts. Everything else around me was a blur. There was no denying that I was going to prison. Even dad wouldn't be able to save me. I was at the accident scene with Caroline's blood all over my hands, I had alcohol in my system, and my car was the one dented from the impact of the hit. Everything pointed against me.

I knew my fate was sealed...

*****************************************************************

My eyes swept my surrounding as I was escorted inside the prison; my home for the next two years. Prisoners dressed in similar clothing to mine which consisted of grey sweats and white tee-shirt, stood leaning against their cells, trying to see what fresh meat was being brought in. I kept my gaze straight ahead with face void of all emotions, only looking around from the corner of my eyes. I had heard enough stories about the prison to know about what happened in here. Though it was only Juvi, some prisoners here have been around long enough to make it their kingdom and in their eyes, I was the peasant being brought into their domain.

I can without a doubt take on any one of them but even I knew when and where to pick my battles. For now, all I needed was a low profile. Thinking back to the court hearing, I tried to take the image of my crying mother out of my head, but unfortunately that wasn't happening anytime soon. The disappointment was clear in my father's face; the same disappointment that I had seen throughout from the start of my teenage years to now.