Chapter 31

- Disclaimer Alert-

- Disclaimer Alert-

**Slightly Mature Content**

******************

Caden POV:

One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six. Seven.

Fuck.

My fingers dig in the palm of my hands as I clench them tightly at my side. I tilt my head up toward the sky, willing my fucking nerves to disappear. It's like when you get a nose bleed and just want it to go away. Except, in this case, it's the feeling of helplessness bleeding out of my brain.

Looking ahead, I'm struck with grief at the scene playing out in front of my eyes.

Grief

All my life, I have never really experienced true grief. I never experienced the feelings associated with losing someone. Every other gut wrenching feeling was a part of my life but grief... this was something unfamiliar for me.

Cold grey clouds drift over the graveyard, acting as a perfect canvas for this gloomy day.

My eyes wandered around the handful number of people present before me. Not a lot of people had showed up. I stood a little away from where Simon's coffin was placed. My hands shoved deep inside my suit pants as I stood watching ahead. Jace and Alex stood on either side of me. I didn't ask them to come, yet they were here... for me. They hadn't known Simon and had no reason to be here but like true best friends, they stood beside me at my lowest of times.

Simon's mum stood in front of his coffin; her head hung low and her hands clasped together in prayer. From here I could see silent tears trailing down her frail cheeks as she tried her hardest to keep it together. Her shoulder shook every now and then as she sobbed.

My chest tightened at the scene playing out before me. Simon was all she had and now seeing her standing there, all alone, something clawed inside me. Shutting my eyes, I tried getting a grip of myself. I was here for Simon and because of the promise I had made. I had every intention to go through with that promise. No matter how much I wanted to get out of here, I forced myself still.

His death has been ruled out as a robbery gone wrong and the case was shut faster than lightening. Nobody seemed to care about the teenage boy who had just lost his life. Everyone assumed the worst just because he had been an ex-convict. Everyone thought whatever happened; he must've brought it upon himself. That's just about how much the system was fucked. Just the thought of it had me clenching my hands tightly by my side.

One by one, whatever little number of people gathered here lay flowers atop the coffin, solemnly paying their final respects. I desperately want to get out of here but I force my body still – the promise echoing deep inside my head. When it's our turn; I force my body forward, willing my feet to move towards where Simon lay inside the coffin.