Chapter 17 (Part 3 )

Caden POV:

Caden POV:

*A Year Ago*

Looking around the fenced area, I studied the guys scattered around the place doing their own thing; some playing basketball, some sitting around talking and some keeping to themselves in the corner. Around this time of the day, prisoners were let out of their cells to be outside. A few days had passed since the shit that had gone down in the cafeteria. No one had dared to cross paths with me in that span of time but I knew better.

I had seen baldy whispering in hushed tone in corners of the prison a number of times. He was obviously planning something to avenge the humiliation I had put him through. But I wasn't too worried about him; I could handle him. What I couldn't handle though was being on bad terms with the guards. If baldy dared to try something, it would without a doubt get both of us into trouble with the guards around the prison and I couldn't have that. I didn't need unnecessary trouble in here with either the guards or the warden.

I was sitting leaning against the fence while smoking a bud; my eyes scanning over the crowd of men inside the fenced space when I saw someone approaching me. It was the same kid who was being beat up by baldy that day. Now that I observed him closely, he wasn't as scrawny as he had appeared that day. For his age, he was built in the right form. The bruises loitered all over his face was starting to fade.

"Umm... Hi." He muttered nervously while looking everywhere but at me once he came to a stop in front of where I was sitting. That had me chuckling slightly.

"How are you even in here kid?" I couldn't help but ask while gesturing around the prison with my hand. The kid didn't look like prison material. He reminded me of one of those nerds you see around the school hallways who always had his nose buried inside a book. With dark hair and baby blue eyes, no wonder baldy found him to be an easy target. In here you had to make your ground and if you come in here looking like Justin fucking Bieber, you're practically begging to have your ass kicked.

"Umm... I was caught with drugs in my possession." He mumbled after a while, making me look up at him curiously. That had my attention now. Cocking an eye brow in question, I met his gaze, waiting for him to continue. Obviously he didn't look like the type to be doing drugs. Being around Spike, I could easily tell apart the stoners and Justin Bieber here wasn't one of them.

"I was just the delivery boy." Mumbling, he sat down beside me, leaving space between us. "My mamma is sick and I needed the money." He finished while looking down at his fingers in his lap. No wonder the kid was involved in shitty business. I would without a doubt do the same for my mother; any kid would.

"I hadn't confessed anything about my boss. That's how I ended up in here." Sighing, I felt a pang of sympathy for the kid. That's how the police worked. If they caught one of the delivery boys, they were given two options; either testify against the boss or go to prison. Ones who choose to testify don't stick around for long. Snitches aren't taken lightly in the gang world. Once you're in, you pledge your utmost loyalty to the leader. Those who betray that loyalty, disappear without a trace. Some gangs even went as far as hurting the families of the said guy.