Chapter Eighteen

“Raven?” I asked, walking over to him in the venue’s hallway

“Raven?” I asked, walking over to him in the venue’s hallway. “Are you okay? You haven’t been answering any of my calls.”

I hadn’t seen him since the night before at Trent’s bachelor party, and when I’d texted him about coming over, he told me that he was staying with a friend. Although, I wasn’t really concerned about Raven being with someone else. I was more concerned about him potentially shutting me out, trying to keep me at arm’s length with a lie.

“I’m fine,” he answered. “I just… I still have a headache. Sorry. Talking on the phone kind of sucks right now.”

“Why are you lying to me?” I took a step closer to him. “What’s wrong?”

“I told you. I’m fine,” he insisted. “Seriously. There’s nothing wrong--”

“Did I do something wrong, then? Is it me?”

“Hey! Raven!” Clarissa peered around the corner. “We’re ready to start the rehearsal now!”

“Can we talk about this later?” he asked tiredly. “Please?”

“Fine,” I said as I moved out of his way.

And I watched as he turned the corner, disappearing out of my view.

* * *

The wedding rehearsal had gone smoothly so far. It seemed like everyone knew how and when to find their places, the bridesmaids and groomsmen all perfectly rehearsed. I wasn’t as polished as the rest of the groomsmen, but I managed to fake my way through it, taking my cues from Eddie when I had no idea what came next in the ceremony.

And now, it looked like it was time for Clarissa to make her way down the aisle. She appeared right on cue to the music, before she slowly stepped down the walkway.

When she arrived at the altar, Trent was already waiting for her, with a huge grin on his face.

“Is this the part where we say our vows?” he asked.

“I think the pastor’s supposed to speak first.” She grinned back at him. “But, yeah, this is basically the part where we say our vows.”

“Okay, well, I’m not telling you what mine are until we’re actually getting married.”

“Hey! That’s not fair. You already read a first draft of mine.” She pouted.

“All’s fair in love and war.” Trent smirked, leaning toward Clarissa, pulling her in for a kiss.

I looked over at the bride’s side of the wedding and I caught sight of Raven wiping the back of his hand beneath his eye.