Chapter Twenty-eight

I missed Sky

I missed Sky.

Being without him felt like trying to breathe when there wasn't any air in the room. It felt like I was trying to swim through an entire ocean, each day ending with the waves crashing against my skin and pulling me down to the depths.

And yet, I had to get up each morning and go to work. I had to put on a fake smile as I met with my remaining clients, not wanting them to know what was going on below the surface. I couldn't be a wedding planner who didn't believe in love.

I couldn't be a wedding planner who knew, deep down, that he'd blown his only chance at having a wedding of his own.

Because I knew that there wasn't going to be another Sky. There wasn't going to be another guy who was going to sweep me off my feet and make me feel like there was something special in the air whenever he was around.

And so, the days passed, just like that, with me faking my own happiness, hoping for the best but expecting the worst. It was easy enough to throw myself into my job, the long hours distracting me a little from the hole in my chest, the one that called out for a man who was no longer in my life.

But when I came home to an empty apartment, the loneliness came back home, too.

Today, I was more grateful than ever, since I was handling a new client, one who wanted to plan a ceremony for over five hundred people. Even though it sounded like a logistical nightmare, I was happy to take on the challenge, excited about the possibility of being so distracted by work that I never had time to think about Sky ever again.

The new client was currently sitting across from my desk, with her legs crossed and a bright smile on her face. "I'm so happy you were able to meet with me today. I've gone through a few wedding planners already, but none of them seem to have any taste. For God's sake, the last woman I spoke to was wearing a green sweater with yellow pumps."

"That sounds awful." I pretended to care. "Isn't that an actual fashion crime? Don't the cops come pick you up for that?"

The client laughed as she shook her head. "Oh, Raven. You are just too much."

"I'm also just the right amount of expensive, so you know I'm worth the gamble." I winked. "How'd you hear about me, anyway? It's not often I get brides from out of town."

"It's a funny story." The client chuckled. "I was driving through the city with my fiancé, and he was driving leisurely, like he usually does. The man drives so slowly that he could lose a car race to a tortoise." She paused, taking a moment to laugh at her own joke. "Anyway, we passed by your billboard on the highway, and I just knew that I needed to meet with you."

"My billboard?" I was confused by her reply. "I have a billboard?"

"Did the billboard company not let you know that they already put up your sign?" She sighed. "That happened with my fiancé's business once. They never got around to letting him know that they'd been running his ad for weeks."