Chapter Twenty-nine

**warning! mature content ahead**

I was sitting across from Sky at Neon City.

The moment felt surreal. I’d spent the last few days trying to come to terms with the fact that we were never going to see each other again, and here Sky was, in the flesh.

I’d invited him to meet me here once I’d figured out the answer to Clarissa’s clue. I hadn’t had the nerve to call him on the phone, opting to text him the invite instead. I was afraid to hear Sky’s voice, terrified of the possibility that he was going to tell me something that I didn’t want to hear, something about how he’d moved on with his life and had no intentions of ever looking back.

“Raven,” he started. “How have you been?”

“Fine.” I kept my answer short. “How have you been?”

Please don’t tell me that you’re marrying Irene. Please don’t tell me that you’re marrying Irene. Please don’t tell me--

“Fine.” Sky’s answer was short, too. “Why’d you want to meet me here? I know this place probably doesn’t have the best memories for you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I kissed you, up on that stage. And you must hate me now, so... why would you ever want to see me here again?”

“Sky, I don’t hate you. I could never hate you,” I replied, my voice low. “And I wanted to talk to you about the billboard. Did you… were you the one who put that up for me?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because of what my father did to your business,” Sky continued. “I wanted to make it up to you. You didn’t deserve any of that, Raven, and it was shitty that my dad ever took it that far.”

“You helped me? Even after I broke up with you?” I couldn’t keep the confusion out of my tone.

“You didn’t break up with me.” He smirked. “You just completely stopped talking to me and treated me like I was already dead.”

“I’m sorry, Sky.”

“But I didn’t care if you never talked to me again, Raven. I still wanted to make sure that your business was going to be okay,” he went on. “Because I care about you, Raven. Because I still--” He stopped himself before he finished, even though I had a feeling I already knew what he was going to say.