𝔩𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱 𝔰𝔱𝔯𝔬𝔩𝔩𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔦𝔫𝔞𝔭𝔭𝔯𝔬𝔭𝔯𝔦𝔞𝔱𝔢 𝔠𝔬𝔪𝔪𝔢𝔫𝔱𝔰

╔ ———————————— ╗chapter eight ╚ ———————————— ╝

╔ ———————————— ╗
chapter eight
╚ ———————————— ╝

The sky was clear and the full moon was clearly visible, the clock was striking one forty-six in the morning and that hateful sound that brought back memories that made her shudder in terror kept playing in her head every time she tried to fall asleep.

It had been about an hour since Arabella had woken abruptly, breathing hard and covered in a layer of cold sweat.

The memories of all those moments when she was connected to those machines that monitored her while she was subjected to endless tests carried out by Gustav haunted her, and every time she felt at peace it didn't last long.

That was exactly what had happened that night, when her sleep was interrupted by one of the nightmares from which she constantly suffered.

In an attempt to calm her troubled mind, she decided to head for the kitchen in search of something to calm her nerves.

What she did not expect was to find a figure sitting on one of the stools at the marble counter. She noticed that the person's back was to her and probably hadn't noticed the presence of someone behind her. She took this to her advantage as she crept towards the silhouette that appeared to belong to a man. Her hands moved smoothly as she raised them in front of her, using the red energy surging from them as a shield, and preparing to use it if needed.

The man seemed to have noticed the red-hued glow coming from behind him, because he turned around in a matter of seconds, finding a frightened but determined Arabella, who was wearing nothing more than a pair of cloth shorts and a shirt about three sizes too big for her, holding her hands up high as she formed spheres of red energy.

"Wow wow, wait hold up!" He put his hands up as he tried to calm the girl down. "Jesus Arabella, it's me!"

She lowered her hands down immediately when she recognized that voice as Dick's. She let out a sigh of relief when she realized there was no danger.

"God I could've killed you!" She yelled in a hushed tone, as Dick scrunched his nose at her comment.

"I don't think you could hav-" He tried to correct her.

"You don't know what I'm capable of, and neither do I, so yeah, I think it's safe to say I could kill you and not notice." She waved her hands in the air as she explained. "What are you doing up so late? And..." She took a glance at the counter and the glass that was on it, walking over to it, picking it up and smelling its content. "And drinking? What are you doing drinking alone in the kitchen at almost two in the morning?"