Nineteen

I woke up early today. I need to catch up with the periods I missed this week, and there's no better time for that than on a chilly Sunday morning. Seated on my reading desk set near my bed, I tune in to an online lecture on Digital Currencies.

My focus is on bitcoins and other cryptocurrencies—Professor Maxwell's obsession.

But why can't I do this in life, huh? It suddenly crosses my mind, and I know I need some sort of investment if I want a little growth in my finances. It's decided, I can't use the whole amount I've received in my account.

"Hey, where is Josh?" Sally pops back from the bathroom, rubbing her eyes sleepily.

We shared my bed, and Josh used the coach as he usually prefers.

"He left." My eyes were still on the screen of my MacBook, a scowl of concentration between my eyebrows. "He got a place to go with his dad. Will you accompany me to town later? I gotta buy some groceries because next will be tight."

Sally yawns audibly. "Sure. I'm going back to sleep. Wake me when you're done."

"Cool." I scribble some notes in my textbook.

My weekend goes eventfully. With Sally's help, I shop and restock the kitchen with everything it needs to sustain us for at least a month. I feel accomplished. A new microwave and grill—two in one—make my dinner preparations so easy and enjoyable later in the evening.

Isla loves fish and chips for dinner, and today I want to surprise her with the news that she can start her ballet class at the beginning of the new month. I know $1200 for six months is still much, but if it means making her happy, I'll gladly pay.

And about Jake's love for computers, which is one of the reasons why he spends a lot of his allowance in the internet café, I'll ask Josh to find a good purchase from his underground deals. I hope I can make my siblings content through their passion, at the very least.

I wash the peeled potatoes with a smile, my hair tied up into a sloppy bun, as I roam around the tiny kitchen with music loud from the living room. It's still six, but it won't be long until Jake and Isla return. And I want dinner to be ready beforehand.

As the darkness reigns I hear their arrival. My lips stretch into a wide grin when Isla calls my name scandalously. God, I missed her and I'm so excited to bear the good news. I yell my response and she gallops into the kitchen.

"Ara! I bought you a present!" She grins placidly, her face suntanned and flushed.

"Oh, did you?" I abandon the salad I'm making by quickly rinsing my hands with the tap water. "What is it?"

She hands me a khaki paper bag. I'm sure it's something delicious from Aunt Lara. She's a great cook and baker, and from her is where I learned a lot about the kitchen stuff.

"Let's see..." I mutter while grabbing the bag with a smile. Isla bounces up and down with excitement. "But I didn't get my kiss. Not even a hug." I purse my lips.

"I'm sorry," Isla whispers. Smiling, I edge over and she gives me that heartwarming hug and kisses on the cheek. "Open it!" she urges afterward.

I open the bag, and as expected I find the blueberry muffins.

"Wow! Thank you, baby! You're the best." I fake my surprised response and her giggles are my best return. "Where is Jake? Did you two have fun?" I say suggestively and resume mixing the salad.

Isla can talk all night long when she's happy. During dinner, she tells me every little detail of their weekend: how they played, what they ate, and every new person she met this weekend. I listen attentively to her, laughing and nodding from time to time.