Fifty-two

Monday comes in a jiff. I spend the whole day at college catching up with stuff. My finals are approaching at the speed of light, yet my head is all over the place trying to concoct some strategy to keep my mind focused after everything that had taken place recently.

But I can do this. I sigh heavily while rolling over Sally's bed on Tuesday evening. I'm at her place right now, watching her packing her suitcase as though she's taking a flight to the Netherlands. She'll be staying at my house for a while, the reason is unfathomable yet.

"How is Jake?" she asks.

"Getting better, I guess. Maybe he can go back to school in two or three days—let's say by next week," I reply, a finger scrolling through my Instagram feed for anything distracting.

"I see. Did he get to check on those geek stuff Adrian bought him? Is the challenge on?" Excitement laces Sally's voice as she talks about that infamous dare.

I put my phone down and look at her. "It's Jake, Sally. You know how he is, right? He hasn't opened a single box yet."

"Proud little fella! But I know a way to make him lose to his curiosity. We did that every Christmas and this won't be any different," Sally utters suggestively. I keep listening. "Bring his nerd friends over and have them open his gifts for him. Let's see if he can resist the charms of his brand new, super speedy monitor."

"Sounds like a plan," I say wittingly.

"And... I'm done." She buckles up her big purple suitcase, ready to be moved.

"I gotta ask. Why exactly are you doing this again? I mean, I'm not complaining about you invading my house or anything, but seriously why would you leave this princess bedroom of yours and stay at mine?" I rise and sit Indian style, studying her.

"Well." She twists her face into her famous lying look. "I... Kinda want to support you with this whole Jake issue because I can tell you're still shaken up."

I scowl. "That's bullshit. I'm totally fine, Sally, this is not rocket science. Try another approach, bitch, because that ain't working with me. Why do you want to move to my place?"

"Fine!" She heaves a long, exhausted sigh before slumping her ass on the bed. "I'm struggling to keep my academics in order, Ara. It's like I'm trying so hard to focus when I study and I just fall asleep without grabbing anything into my head. So I figured out that maybe if we studied together, I'd be able to pull this through. It's our last shot and I don't wanna mess my four years over another supplementary."

My lips stretch into a smile. "You should have told me that sooner."

"You have a lot on your plate. Didn't want to be a plus one," she replies simply. "And don't worry, I'll settle the water and electricity bills for you. I'm no freeloader, Madame."

"Hmm, fair enough." I bob my head, making her huff a laugh of relief.

Sally is one of the students who can't focus on their own without a little push and company. Well, I guess having a study buddy isn't a bad idea for me either, given that I've missed so many classes and perhaps we can help each other.

"Any word from Adrian?" Sally asks.

"None," I breathe, for this has become a bit of a sensitive subject ever since he left my house without even looking me in the eyes.

"Woah! Not even a call?" Sally inquires.

"Nada."

"What about you? Why didn't you call him instead?"

Because we're not in that sort of relationship, maybe? How do I explain this to her without going into details that what we have is nothing but an unusual arrangement involving money and good sex, which, by the way, has come to an end in case I use my head properly?