Sixty-three

I sit by the pool, watching everyone celebrating over the barbeque, music, and drinks. Even though I anticipated a quiet evening, my peers' minds seem to have been set way before this day. In the end, I gave in, letting the party take place right outside the house and sparkly decors covering all the plants in the compound.

A splash of water disrupts my reverie. It's Jake's friends in the swimming pool, and another one is laughing heartily while taking a video of the others. I smile gently, checking my silent phone to see if I got any call or text from anyone, hopefully Adrian who said he'd be here.

"Ara, there's a call for you." Anna Lucia, my Mexican housekeeper, brings me the telephone.

It's strange because I hardly receive calls through the home line. I sit up straight as the old lady nears the sun lounge, still in her gray dress and white flats.

"Who is it?" I take it, my face frowning quizzically at her.

"She didn't say her name," she replies.

I place the phone in my ear before muttering, "Hello?"

No one responds, but I can hear someone's breath. A frown deepens on my face as I gaze up at Anna.

"Hello?" I repeat, and still no one answers except the faint breath of someone. Impatiently, I snap, "Are you going to talk or what? You're the one who called and yet—"

The line dies, cutting me off.

"What?" Anna asks me.

I huff, annoyed. "Nothing. It was probably a prank because she wasn't talking. Here, take it back."

"That's weird. She said she wants to talk to you and it sounded very important."

"Well, some people are crazy out there," I reply, inflicting a peal of small laughter on us both until Anna Lucia takes her leave.

Sighing, I get up and join the others. Isla is still enchanted by the two puddles in a pink basket that were anonymously sent by someone as a graduation gift. I'm not sure why such a present, but I recall crying for puppies when I was little. I couldn't get one though because my mom was allergic to pets.

Gentle horn blare from the entranceway. Everyone's attention shifts and a white SUV slowly arrives in the front yard. A thump in my heart tells me it's Adrian, and luckily it's just him taking off the car about a minute later. I swallow a breath, taking his presence rather maturely despite the grand disquietude running through me.

"Good evening," he greets everyone.

Sally lowers her glass of mimosa, almost choking on the drink. "Adrian?" she blurts out.

Adrian smiles bashfully at her. "Sally. I believe that's you."

"Absolutely. The one and only." She grins, subtly giving me a look of mischief.

They exchange pleasantries, and it's the first time they're having a proper introduction. Aside from Aunt Lara and a few relatives from Sally's side, mostly ladies and children, I don't have many guests over for the occasion. It's a private party, and if it weren't for them, I'd be with my siblings only.

"I know you!" Isla chirps in, gazing up at Adrian with a half-smiling face.

"Do you, now?" He lifts her in response, his smile ever radiant and jolly. "I think I know you, too. And you've got big now!"

Isla giggles. "Are you the one who sent the puppies?" she asks him.

"Puppies?" Adrian frowns, a bit confused. Isla bobs her head. "Um, no. As much as I'd love to take credit for putting that pretty smile on your face, I'm afraid I wasn't the one who sent them."