Sixty-two

"You look... incredibly gorgeous." Adrian's deep voice awakens every last nerve of my senses.

It's been forever since I had the pleasure of hearing the sound of it.

"Thanks," I barely whisper, my body still captive of his brace that my skin remembers.

Another announcement flies through the microphone. All graduates need to gather.

"I believe that's your cue to go," Adrian says calmly, his gaze filled with self-control that I'm lacking.

He sets me free, but his arms linger around me as if he wants the opposite.

"Yeah, I have to," I breathe, unsure if this is happening or not.

Maybe it's a dream, Arabella. Wake up!

"Okay." His arms slide off, letting me completely free of his touch.

"That's it?" I quiz, thinking out loud. If it's real he should have more to say. "Is that all you can say after all this time?" I ignore everything and every one by focusing solely on him—on all of him.

God, he's still gorgeous. Probably more gorgeous than before, despite shedding a few pounds that I can't tell whether it's from working out or something else. But he's as fit as ever, wearing white jeans and a white shirt, accented by a navy blue blazer.

"Not really," he answers. Those daunting eyes stare at me deeply, disarming me. "There's a lot to say, Arabella, but the timing is barely perfect. Go ahead, or you'll be late."

A shudder runs through me, my mind still in the maze. I only nod my head and reconnect to the reality around me. The chattering, the laughter, the shoe steps, and all sorts of noise merge to remind me that it's my graduation day.

I join Sally, thankful that my seat is well-guarded. She squeals as I slump down like a sack, barely holding it together. My face is blank, my head full of wonder, and she's grinning non-stop waiting for me to share the same excitement as hers.

"So?" she asks.

"Pinch me," I tell her. Her eyes widen. "I-I want to be sure this is real because—" A pinch on my arm nearly makes me jump. "Ouch!" I whimper.

"What? Did it hurt?" she asks laughingly. I glower. "Of course, it's real, Ara! Your Adrian is here! He came here!"

"But why?" I retort. "And why today of all days? Why did—"

"You'll have to ask him yourself, babes." Sally's face straightens into seriousness as she cuts me off. "Look, if he's here on one of your special days in life, it should be for an important reason. You wanna be sure about it, simply talk to him later and he'll tell you why."

"Yeah, you're right." I sigh. "I'll talk to him later. I have a lot to say to him, after all."

"See? Problem solved." She shuffles her legs apart while reclining back, taking enough space for her pregnant body to be comfortable.

I chuckle. "Who'd have thought that you'd wear a graduation gown with a big belly."

"Certainly not me, but thanks for reminding me." She laughs smoothly, and I'm glad she has now accepted her condition wholeheartedly.

Josh winks at us, seated with his classmates on our left side. Each faculty is placed in one group, making several seating arrangements. Next to the stage is a group of university stakeholders and benefactors, including some political figures like the senator of Nevada who's also our university alumni.

The guests occupy their own space, a hit farther from the stage.

As the ceremony begins, I see Adrian taking a seat among the people at the high table, the same group of stakeholders and benefactors on the front line. Another wave of shock shoots through my blood. It's never possible to get used to this man's special ability to drive me nuts. In response, I nudge Sally on the shoulder.