Twenty-one

"Finish it all." I slide the plate of chopped apples toward Isla. She purses her lips, finding this organic idea of an evening snack so unattractive. "When you're done you take a shower and rest. Homework at seven."

"Okay." She bobs her head.

I head to Jake's room. My brain is too juggled to place my thinking straight, but I want to understand what's happening with my brother. From his behavior last night, to this news I got a moment ago, he's driving me out of my mind.

His room has a small bed with blue covers, a wooden reading desk with a lamp and an old computer, and a two-door closet. I nearly trip on the orange ball on the floor. Basketball is Jake's side hobby, and the Lakers posters on the blue walls say it all.

My eyes wander around haphazardly because I don't know what I'm looking for. Jake's room is usually neat—he's a clean freak—but today it's out of order. I pick his jeans from the floor and gather his pajamas from the bed to at least know where I can begin.

"For God's sake, he couldn't even spare two minutes to make his bed?" I grumble while fixing the mess, his books and rough papers included.

Five minutes later the room is restored to its usual glory. Throughout the process, however, I don't find anything suspicious until I open his closet to place his clean clothes. I find a weird black backpack that's neither new nor old.

Strange.

It's a little heavy as I shake it in the air. A frown flits on my face. Sighing, I sit on the bed and lay it on my lap, grabbing the zipper to check what's held inside. And when I do my eyes go wide at the sight of new bills stacked together in bundles.

"Oh, my God!" I quickly flip the bag and throw its contents on the bed.

My heart races worriedly, finding a lot of money for a fifteen years boy to have in his possession. And the first thing I ask myself is where did he get it? How? What kind of stuff does he do to have this much?

I think I'm going nuts.

Up to my feet, I keep my eyes on the money. I'm so scared to even count it. This is not what I expected to find. It is not what I thought I would see if I searched around his room. What is he involved with? A shrill of fright overwhelms me.

"Ara?" Isla calls from the hallway. "Ara, where are you?" she whines.

I mop my eyes with the back of my hand before collecting the money quickly.

"Just a minute," I respond to Isla's third yell of my name.

Into the bag, I stash all the bills and zip it up. I open the door as soon as I can.

"I wanna play with Charlotte. Can I do that?" Isla begs, giving me her doe eyes.

"But her mom thinks you stole from her, Isla," I reply softly while suppressing any sort of displeasure lingering in my face and voice. "How can I allow you to go to her place after all that?"

"But she came here, Ara. She's at the door," Isla explains.

I sigh heavily. "You miss her, don't you?"

"Mmm. We're besties," Isla purrs.

I chuckle. If only Mrs. Millers could see the same.

"Okay, if she's here, you two can play together. But don't go to her house, can you promise me that?"

"Cross my heart!"

"Okay, go ahead. I'll be there soon so you two can help me make dinner. How about that?" I try to enthuse.