Twenty-three

Restlessness becomes my company. I sit on the edge of the bench, my gaze flying around in search of anyone with close features that can resemble Adrian Castle. Even though I know nothing about how he truly looks, I'm still hoping to recognize him if he shows up for this unexpected rendezvous that has me feeling jumpy.

Will he come, though?

A small nervous laugh leaves my chest. This is so not what I expected for my terrible night to end. Will he truly show up? And that without mentioning anything about the blindfold and his other kinky demands? I hold my breath tightly, speculatively, the beer can in my hand long forgotten.

About fifteen minutes pass and I realize that I'm more nervous than excited. All of my previous worries regarding Jake and his outburst are now grayed by anxiousness. It feels like a very long moment of waiting finally coming to an end or a shot of the curtains after a long and cheerful clapping from the audience.

"Gosh, I can't stand this!" Groaning, I get up and abandon the beer on the bench.

I take a deep breath, a hand on my waist. It's dark here, but not pitch black thanks to the streetlights and the shining moon above. I stare at my phone restlessly, waiting for anything.

A call, a message, or his full presence.

My patience proves to be highly faulty as I flash the message window and start typing something—just anything in mind—to make sure that Mister Castle is really coming.

"Desperate much, Arabella!" I groan again and delete the few letters I've typed.

What if he's not coming? I sigh heavily and roam around, my head lifted so I face nothing but the shining sky above. Stars are twinkling beautifully, but it feels like they're mocking me and my situation.

"What? Is it wrong that I'm super scared to finally meet him?" I yell at the stars, and only God knows what people may say if they can see and hear me right now.

I blow out some air and return to my seat, where I grab my beer and chug it again. I seriously need to be calm.

"I thought I told you to stay put and not walk around as if you've lost your way home." A powerful voice reaches my ears about two minutes later.

Oh no! The beer stills in my mouth from the sudden start in my heart.

Soft, nonchalant steps push their way toward me, and frozen I hold my breath as my heart familiarizes me with the strange sensation the sound of this voice brings me and the bunching woodsy scent that I can now recognize by heart.

Fuck, it's him. He's here.

The beer tastes sweet and nutty as I swallow it, but it feels like bile now. I slowly upturn my face to see the full profile of this man standing beside me right now. My heart is racing, faster is its beating, and gently, quite firmly, I manage to behold his sight.

Good Lord!

"It wasn't easy finding you in such a huge place... but I did. Here I am, Arabella. Am I allowed to sit?" he asks, his tone inexorably calm yet playful, and I can hardly see that faint smile on his face.

He's certainly here.

A towering height? I expected nothing less. I always feel small in his presence. A sturdy body with proportionate features? I felt the firmness of his muscles, the strength of his arms whenever he held me, and the comfort of his chest when he hugged me.

He's fucking real!

Sighing, he sits down next to me. It's the only reason for my fixed gaze to flex at last as I follow his move. What I'm feeling is explicable. I almost feel nothing but his presence and the awesome surprise in my heart and body when I see his face.