Eighty

"Thanks, Josh. I had no idea having a dude best friend would come in handy so soon." I smile at Mario as he holds the SUV's door still for me, my phone wedged between my cheek and my shoulder.

I'm done with the shopping. Glory to God.

It's been more minutes of shopping than I can count. Possibly three hours or so, and the day has bled to dusky. Smooth evening, dark gray clouds, threatening downpour, but all good.

Into the phone, I hear Josh's gentle voice saying, "Anytime, Linc. See? We guys don't have so many complications as you chicks do. We appreciate even little things as long as they're handed genuinely."

"Oh, please."With the phone back in my hand, I roll my eyes while sinking into the car. "You'd get me a hairpin and I'd be content. But you dudes? Remind me to use eBay next time." I settle in the backseat.

Josh's laughter delves the nostalgia I've buried hidden for a while now. I miss my people. Even though I talked to Aunt Lara and Jake some hours ago, having them miles away is nothing passable.

Mario shuts the door and walks toward the driver's side.

"Anyways. Thanks for dropping by at home, too," I tell Josh and his response is humble it's okay, as usual. "I had a pull-off with Sally before leaving and she's probably angry at me even now." I let out an aggravated breath.

I heard she's good. Tired but good.

"Hey, you worry too much. She's not a baby, and you're not a babysitter to everyone around you," Josh says lamentably. "I can tell he's treating you well and it's everything I needed to know. Take care, huh? It's time to go easy on yourself so use it, Linc."

A gentle smile crosses my face. Maybe he's right. I need a small escapade from the ordinary life. Usually, even a short trip would be a luxury beyond me. Too many responsibilities. But a few days of rest can't be so bad for everyone, right?

The family is ok. The café is ok, as long as Mr. Wang is there. It's his business after all, and about time I cultivate mine right here in New York.

"Thanks, Josh," I reply. "Say hi to everyone. Love you, pal."

"Love you too, Linc. Take care." He hangs upon my hummed yes.

Mario is already behind the steering wheel. His wide back is straight as he pulls on the seatbelt and buckles up. His phone buzzes and he picks it up instantly while setting a hand on the gear shift. The engine roars and his attention is halfway on the phone now.

"We're on the way, sir. All clear." He's curt, and I know who's on the phone by the sound of it.

Mr. Control Freak!

I roll my eyes, a part of me swirling with delight, as to no one else has had me feel so cared for before his mysterious arrival. I constantly fear that my teenage years have passed me by in the blink of an eye, but he's bringing it back to me in ways I thought I'd recoil.

I had no curfews, because being everywhere is a manual for any working woman with mouths to feed, let alone for a college student doing both. I used to wish someone would ask "Where are you, Arabella? Why aren't you home yet?" but I was always on the giving end.

So this feels good. Weird but good.

The fresh aroma of baked asparagus whacks my nose when I reach the penthouse. A smile sweeps over me, knowing fully well that Adrian promised dinner with candlelight, and given the silence, I fathom the siblings are gone.

Mario precedes me from the foyer and I'm afraid our companionship ends here for today.

"Thanks," I tell him as he hands me the shopping bags that he coerced me to surrender.