Twenty-seven

My day at college has been uneventful so far. During lunch I meet Sally and we eat together. At least she does, for I keep staring at my sandwich as though it has grown wings and ready to fly. I have no appetite—it's been like this since the break of the dawn.

I thought money was the major problem in my life, that if I had enough for a comfortable life of even a month or so, I'd be happy and satisfied. After all, there's always a way to find more for another time as long as tomorrow we'll have breakfast on the table and a day to plan.

But alas, there's never satisfaction for as long as we live. Now it's my brother who's driving me out of my wits, unsure on how to deal with him.

"Hey, is it red alert or something? Why so quiet?" Sally's large green eyes are bored deeply into mine,concerns lacing her voice.

I discard the sandwich and suck in a breath. As I open my mouth to explain my mood, Bianca and her simpleton squad slump at the table next to ours. It's the fragrance of their intense perfume and giggles that identify their presence.

Sally rolls her eyes and I just sigh. With everything going on in my head, paying attention to some chicks in heels is the least of my priorities. All I need is to finish my two periods left before I go home and take a rest or something.

Home? Yeah, right? Aren't I forgetting something?

"You know what?" I utter while getting up, done with this unpleasant lunch. "I gotta go for my next class."

"Already? You haven't eaten a thing, Ara!" Sally admonishes me, a disapproving look on her face. "Your class starts at two so what's the rush?"

Before I can respond, Bianca intersects with a snort, her eyes on us as they constantly have been ever since she arrived here about five minutes ago.

"Maybe poor Ara wants to be home early for her two kids, who knows? You just let her go," she mocks.

Her friends laugh quietly, and for some reason I find them like high schoolers instead of college students. My God, have I matured too early to think this kind of behavior is so old fashioned?

She licks her red lipstick on her bottom lip and leans toward the table to catch a closer look at me. Anger protrudes in her eyes, even though I'm positive I haven't done anything to make her hate me like this.

"You must be very happy now that he's free, right?" she says disdainfully.

Are we talking about Josh? Now I wonder if he broke up with her or not. I haven't spoken to him since yesterday, but he sent me a text this morning saying he wouldn't come to college due to some personal matters he has to attend.

"I'm really not in the mood, Bianca. Sorry." I exhale softly and ignore her. "Talk to you later," I tell Sally who's already up to her feet.

"No need. I'll just go with you," Sally says, and I'm sure she's no longer fond of her lunch given the company she has right now, if she decides to stay.

Bianca Knowles is Sally's archenemy, if they both haven't figured this out yet. I just don't understand why Missy chocolate skin can't see who her rival is up to this point. If there's one possible crush when it comes to Josh, then that will be Sally.

Not me. Never been me. He likes pretty tiny girls and my thick ass is something he would never fancy. I probably had a long, long time crush with him—when we were younger–but I knew my place in his life too well to let it grow further.

Who would want a chubby girl for a girlfriend? They always work better as friends, don't they? Even Richard didn't want the chubby girl. And even after she trimmed a few pounds and turned into a voluptuous woman, he still found it not enough. He wanted more.