8

Nina

The courtroom was freezing, and it made me all the more drowsier

The courtroom was freezing, and it made me all the more drowsier. I rubbed my temples, worried about the trial, and listened back to two women talking about Jay behind me.

"Oh my God, Flo you think somethin' wrong?" I definitely did. No way he'd be over thirty minutes late over something that had to with Correy. If anything, he'd be here when the courthouse opened.

"Calmate, mi vida. Call him one more time." The second lady picked up her phone again, but Jay didn't answer.

"See, somethin' wrong."

I turned around in my seat, unable to resist joining in their conversation.

"He's not answering me either. I think I'mma go to his place. and see if everything good."

"And who are you?" The second lady asked, eyebrows furrowed. She looked like she wanted to beat the fuck outta me.

"Oh my bad, I'm Nina. I'm a friend of Jay's." I decided to leave it at that, cause I didn't know what we were, nor did I want to give it a label when we hadn't talked about it yet.

Her eyebrows lifted and then she smirked. "Oh, you're that 'friend'."

"What that mean?"

"Baby, Jay don't have regular friends in his life. And it's only one person he's mentioned to me lately, and I'm assuming it's you. Anywhore, I'm Wren, his cousin, and this is my girlfriend, Flora."

I blushed, thinking about the fact that he told them about me. A little girl sitting to the right of them chimed in. "Mommy, you forgot me! Hi, Nina. I'm Harley Jones, nice to meet you!"

I smiled at her and waved. "Hey Harley."

Wren reached behind Flora and playfully yanked Harley's ear. "Little girl you too friendly, giving yo government to strangers. But back to Jay, I'm coming wit' you to his place."

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You know him... he doesn't like being ambushed. How's he gonna feel when your loud ass pulls up and starts raising hell?" Flora commented.

Wren started scratching her head. "That's valid. But we don't know miss?"

"Nina," I finished.

"Miss Nina. We don't know her enough. What if she go over there and kill him? What then?"

"Wrenden! She's sitting right there. Hush!" Flora turned back towards me. "You got his address?" I nodded. "Clearly they're close enough if she's been over there. Here, take my number. Text me when you get there and let us know if he's okay."

Wren crossed her arms. "Man I still wanna go over there. Cause first thing I'mma do is whoop his ass for being late. Secondly--"

"See. This exactly why you don't need to go. Alright, Nina. Drive safe."