17

Nina

"Junior, go back to that table and finish that food 'fore I come over there and--"

"'Fore you come over there and what? You not touching my grandbaby, Carter. And don't be makin' threats in my house," Momma fussed. Carter smacked his teeth, but not before Momma gave him one last look telling him to watch it.

As a family we tried as much as we could to spend time together, but rarely were we all in attendance at the same time. Everyone's schedule was so different, but we all came together because Junior was having a party soon and we still needed to plan. Plus, who was missing Momma's cooking?

Dinner was amazing, as per usual when my mother cooked. The oldest, Junira, and I always helped out making sides, but she honestly didn't need our help. My twin, Ja'Niyah, mainly stayed with our brothers, Cameron and Carter, just fucking around and doing what they could to get on Momma's nerves. Cole was the ultimate Momma's boy, being that he was the baby, so he always came when she called, but she rarely did. It had been like that since we were kids: me, Junira, and Cole clinging to Momma; Niyah, Cam, and Carter playing rough and sticking to Pops.

We had a huge family between my siblings and parents, so our house was never quiet. Especially now, when Junira had 3 kids of her own, Carter had 2, and Cameron had 4. Sunday dinner had to feed nine children, the six of us, three in laws, and Momma.

We just got done eating, at least most of us, and the adults were chilling in the living room. Carter Jr. was still stuck at the table, even though all of his cousins had already gone back upstairs and were making mad noise up there. You could just tell on his face he was missing the action, and every time he tried sneaking from the table, Carter Sr. caught him.

"Baby, leave him alone. I think he's just full," Solana, Carter's wife, said.

"Nah cause his ass gon be talmbout he hungry right as we get home. Watch, he gon be eating hot cheetos in the car, Sol."

"It's fine, I'll just pack up his plate. You can go ahead, Junior."

"Thank you Momma!" My nephew ran from that table faster than my eyes could catch it.

"Mcht, you spoiling him. He gon end up like Cole."

Cole snapped up. "And what's wrong wit that?"

"Nothin'. Your brother just a hater," Momma added.

As they were getting all their arguing out, I started texting Jay.

iMessage

jay🤞🏾
They sleep girl

i miss my kingy & harley

jay🤞🏾
Yeah well we miss you too mamas

i'll be back tonight