19

Domonique

"Girl how many times you gon keep looking at that post?" Sade tapped my forehead, making me look up from the screen

"Girl how many times you gon keep looking at that post?" Sade tapped my forehead, making me look up from the screen. I quickly cleared the Instagram app and shut my phone off, throwing it on the other side of the couch.

"And here I was, actually thinkin' you moved on. Lies and deceit, I tell ya," Sade paused our show and turned to me.

I blew out a frustrated breath, not really sure what to do with my feelings. Jay and the girl he posted with the roses must have been taking things more seriously now. And I'm pretty sure rose girl was the same one at the store with the kid. Was I jealous? I don't know. But he was happy, and that's all that should have mattered, right?

Right?

"Sade, I'on wanna get into it right now."

"Yeah, yeah. You never wanna get into it, or talk about him, or look at dating other people. So what is it that you actually wanna do, D? Cause I can't keep watching you pout and frown all day thinking about this guy. You deserve love and happiness, too. Not just him."

She was right. Even though I stopped calling and stopped showing up at his store, I still thought about him often. Too often to be healthy. And thinking about what we could have had together stops me from even wanting anyone else.

"Can we look through her Instagram?"

Sade smacked. "Nah, that aint helping nothing."

I rolled my eyes. "You asked me what I wanna do. That's what I wanna do."

"Fine," she gave in and grabbed my phone for me. She laid her head in my lap and scrolled to Jay's account, then clicked on his most recent post and swiped through. "He didn't tag her, but I bet she commented."

Hers was the first comment, which I didn't even pause to read before Sade was scrolling through her feed.

From what I could tell, she was in school, had a huge, loving family, and loved to draw. "Look, she did a collaboration wit' his clothing line too," Sade pointed out, seeing her tagged in a few posts from the store's Instagram.

She was beautiful, smart, and had people who cared about her. That's more than I could say for myself.

After uncovering some old photos from 2015 and laughing a bit, Sade shut the phone off. "Domonique. This ain't no way to live man. You can't be stalking his life and his girl, wishing you was her."

"I know, Sade. But what you want me to do, huh?"

"Talk to him. Tell him you're still alive."

"What?!" I pushed her up off my lap. She knew that was not an option, so why would she even suggest it? "You know I can't do that."

Raheem was still going on with his plan he didn't tell me about. Who knows if he was able to kick out Jordan, our mother, or his bitch of a wife? I hadn't heard from him and he told me never to contact him, so there was no way for me to know. It had been months since we last spoke, and I feel so anxious and hopeless not knowing if he's okay or not.