15

Jay

I walked down the familiar hallway to Jamal's office for my weekly session

I walked down the familiar hallway to Jamal's office for my weekly session. Right after the trial I'd come in twice a week, but since two months have passed and things have settled down, I transitioned to once a week.

Even though therapy was helpful, most days after work all I wanted to do was go home and get in the damn bed. Not come to this place and talk about the shit that was on my mind. But I knew I needed it, so I never missed a session. No matter how annoying this shit could be.

Inside, he was seated behind his desk, laughing at something on his phone.

"What's funny nigga?"

He slowly looked up to see me standing in the doorway. "Nigga you comfortable as hell callin' me nigga. I'm your therapist."

I raised my eyebrows. "Didn't you call me a nigga just now?"

"And you called me a coon last week..."

"That's cause you dated a white woman. Didn't nobody tell you to mess wit' that white girl. Almost got yo ass caught up wit' her folks." Even though the sessions were about me, I always found ways to make him tell me shit about his life. One day we were talking about relationships, so I pressed him for a story.

He cleared his throat. "That was my past. I'm happily married to my BLACK wife. 'Nuff of this nigga-callin'. Come in."

I chuckled, imagining him with a white lady. Glad I never got caught up in that. I don't care how hard life get, if you ever see me with a white woman, just know I am unwell.

I took my usual place and put my feet up on a nearby footrest.

"So, what you tryna get into today?"

I shrugged. He always tried to make me start out the session by taking it wherever I wanted, but I hated that. Just ask yo' question and don't make me think too much, you know?

"How are you sleeping?"

"Better. Less nightmares, though I might have one a week it doesn't shake me up as much."

He nodded writing something down. "Why do you think that is?"

"Hm?"

"Why do you think you have less nightmares and can sleep through the night when you couldn't before?"

"Well," I thought it over for a few seconds. "Part of it is time. Lot more time has passed since the trial, so I feel less anxious that Correy's gon' get taken from me. Since we finalized our agreement, I know he'll be wit' me and that helps a lot."

He nodded, already coming with a follow-up question. "Have you been spending a lot of time with him lately?"

"Hell yeah, any chance I get. He love going to the damn park, art and drawing, anything. Whatever he wanna do, except getting a dog."