25

Domonique

I don't have a bonnet, I'm still wearing yesterday's clothes, and I need to shower. Even despite all of this, I'm the most comfortable I've been in a long time, courtesy of Jay who has his arms wrapped around me as we sleep. I'm still thinking of what almost happened yesterday and it sends a tingle down my back; subconsciously, I scoot closer to him.

I'm awake now, but he still snores lightly behind me. The sound is oddly comforting and it almost distracts me from thinking about Nina.

I meant what I said about not being sorry that she left him. I'm happy even, because I know that if she were still here, I wouldn't be. Still, it's kinda weird to think about the fact that I'm laying on her exact spot, her pillow, with her man.

My man. Our man? I don't know. But God, I don't wanna be in no sister wives shit.

I'm sure she's a good person, and maybe we would have been friends if not for this.

Everything about this is odd, but I want him so much that it doesn't matter. I'll ignore anything if it means we can be together, finally after all this time.

Speaking of ignoring, I haven't talked to Sade in a minute. I grabbed my phone off the charger and scrolled to our text thread. The last three messages were from me, yet there was no reply. I sent another one, asking her to call me when she could.

I needed to tell her about everything. She was the only person completely removed from all of this that could give me an honest opinion. Sade was painfully truthful, and I needed that right now. Was this the right decision, or was I simply being a homewrecker?

Behind me, Jay began stirring and clenching his jaw like he was chewing something. Probably that sleep.

"Why you always get up so early?" His morning voice was deep and raspy, sending heatwaves through me.

"Always?"

"You used to do that all the time. Up there making noise while I'm tryna catch every bit of sleep I can get before I gotta wake up."

I scoffed, turning to face him. "You like it, so it don't matter."

"I don't," he put a hand up to my mouth. "And your breath stink. We need a bomb squad for yo' shit."

"Again, I don't know why you lying cause ain't nobody here to listen to you." His eyes slowly opened and he rubbed them. "You're literally obsessed with me, boo."

"And what if I am?" He smirked and kissed me gently. I guess my breath wasn't stopping anything.

To be kissed and held was... new, to say the least. In the time since I had 'died', I never got into another relationship. Having to keep up with a lie so deep was something I didn't wanna deal with, especially concerning romance. A relationship built on a lie was doomed from the start.

I spent years wishing for the love and affection I was getting now, and I couldn't be happier that it was from Jay of all people.

His stomach grumbled. "Waffle House?"

"Yes!" I screamed, making us both laugh.

"Damn so you textin' other niggas?"

I checked my texts with Sade last time before shutting off my phone. The messages I sent her turned from blue to green, which didn't make sense to me. Either Sade had me blocked or my texts weren't going through. Both possibilities had me nervous.

"You jealous, huh?"

"Nope," he shrugged.

I dug into my food, ignoring him. "Alright, maybe a lil bit."