11

Jay

I checked myself out in the mirror one more time and rubbed a hand down my face

I checked myself out in the mirror one more time and rubbed a hand down my face. Tired was an understatement.

Nina came up behind me and wrapped her arms around my waist, leaning her head on my back. "You ready to go?"

I spun around and kissed her forehead, then cheeks, then lips. "Nah, not feeling it."

She laughed and pulled away, making me follow behind her to the living room. She grabbed up her purse and tossed me the keys to my car. "Yeah, whatever. You drivin'."

Today was the first of many court dates for the week. My lawyer and Sierra's would be making the case on which parent should have custody. Since there wasn't too many ongoing cases in family court, we'd be closer to knowing who would get custody of Correy by the end of this week.

I was anxious as hell. I couldn't lose my son, I wouldn't. It felt like he was one of the only things I had left in this life. Even thinking about the weeks we've spent apart during this custody battle was enough to bring tears to my eyes. I just wanted to see the lil nigga, take him to school, bring him to the shop. I wanted to do all the shit we normally did if his momma wasn't tryna take him away from me.

Being lost in my thoughts, I missed the highway exit and let out a sigh. Nina placed her hand on my neck and used her thumb to gently massage the tension I held there.

"It'll all work out. You'll get him back."

And I hoped it was true.

The judge flipped through a few papers in the file on his podium, then looked at both me and Sierra. My palms were sweaty as fuck, but I tried my best to calm myself down using the techniques I learned in therapy. The breathing and allat other shit was actually... helpful.

"Your Honor, my client would like full custody of her son as the defendant has tried in the past to kidnap her child and violated their joint custody agreement."

My lawyer waved a hand at me, seeing how my breathing went from steady to erratic. The audacity of Sierra to keep bringing up these lies in court. Maybe I do need to let Wren whoop her ass.

"Your Honor, the kidnapping charges posed against Mr. Green were dropped and have absolutely nothing to do with this proceeding. The plaintiff has no evidence stating that my client was attempting to kidnap the child, or harm him in any way. If I may?" My lawyer stepped from behind the table we sat at and onto the court floor.

She placed a few documents in front of the judge and gave him a second to look over them. "I've just provided you with documentation that shows that Ms. Howell recently became employed by Linus Trading Co., with her new position being based in New York City. Now if anyone should be charged with kidnapping or being a flight risk, it's Ms. Howell. What's stopping her from abducting the child and fleeing to New York without giving my client a heads up?"