23

Nina

Nina

"Look around one last time. Is it anything else you think you gon need for the summer?"

Correy barely looked before shouting, "No ma'am!"

He was beyond excited to go to New York, even more so after I told him that's where Spider-Man lived. Sierra had landed tonight and would be coming to get him in the morning. As per the courts order, she had him for the next three months.

Even though it was the law, I wish he didn't have to go. I'd miss my little best friend, and the thought of not taking him everywhere with me made me pout.

I tried to spoil him as much as I could these past few days before he left, but all he really wanted was to see all his uncles and aunties and play with his cousins. That was no problem, seeing that we had family dinners set up for Sundays anyway. Cameron, Carter, Junie, Twin, and Cole all came, as well as my horde of nieces and nephews. We spent the whole day with them, and I was glad that my family could also be his.

Jay didn't have many people in his life that he and Correy could lean on. I grew up with a huge family, surrounded by my siblings and cousins constantly. What I lacked in friends, I made up for with them. It really shapes you to be loved like that, and that's all I wanted for Correy.

At the end of the night as he was saying bye to Alina and Alana, Amiel, Junior, Sage, Ivanna, Iman, Deuce, and Iyanna, he was crying so hard about missing them all. Even Junior was crying, as those two were closest out of all of them. I had to drag him from my momma house, the promise of seeing skyscrapers and Spider-Man in New York the only thing strong enough to make him suck up his tears.

He couldn't stop talking about getting on the plane for the first time, and he was truly excited to see the city. It only made me happy to see him like this, seeing as though only a few weeks ago he seemed to be in a slump.

"You been staring for a while." Jay mumbled. He was sitting at the counter, idly scrolling through something on his laptop. He always did that, and it felt like something he did to keep him from having to look at me.

I had just put Correy to bed, and I was ready to confront him about his strange behavior. Luckily, he came home shortly after, so I didn't have to wait until he came back in the middle of the night. Most days I tried my hardest to wait up, but between school and work and his unpredictable schedule, I couldn't keep up with him.

"We should talk about this."

"Ain't nothin' to talk about."

"Yes there is, Jay. I can't keep doing this with you. You go out and come back whenever you want without saying nothing, you don't talk to me at all, and you won't tell me what's wrong. I'm not your momma and I'm not gon tell you what to do... but this is a partnership. And right now, you not acting like it."