10

Raheem

Raheem

"Asha, baby, how was school?" I asked as she sat in the backseat. I was on my Daddy duties picking her up from school. I didn't mind it though, cause this little girl made me laugh everyday and I loved surprising her by coming up here.

"Good, daddy! My teacher said I'm doing good on my addition and subtraction. She said next week she'll start giving me more advanced stuff," Asha smiled hard.

"That's good baby! You smart just like your daddy," I reached back and rubbed her cheek.

"Daddy, you sure you smart?"

I took my hand back and mean mugged her from the mirror. "Hell you mean am I sure? Whatchu tryna say, Asha?" I raised my eyebrows.

She giggled and continued looking out the window. "Nothin'. I just heard Momma talking about you."

See what I meant when I said Asha can't keep her mouth shut? Now if she was snitching on me, I'd be mad. But she can snitch on that bitch Dawn any day, and I'd never be upset.

"Oh yeah? What Momma say?"

"She was talking to Granny." We came to a red light, just in time for me to turn around and look her in her face.

"What her and Granny was sayin'?"

Asha pretended like she was zipping her lips together. "Nah girl don't do that now. You start some, you gotta finish it."

"Don't tell Momma I told you, okay?"

"Mhm."

"And Granny neither."

"Yeah, Sha. Daddy ain't no snitch. Now get to talkin'."

"Well when Momma and Granny came get me from school yesterday, Momma gave me her phone and said I could watch Bratz on YouTube. But I ain't feel like watching."

Just then, the light turned green and I stepped on the gas, tryna focus on the road and Asha's story.

"Her and Granny was talking about a place I never heard of."

"Where, baby?"

"New land."

"You mean New Orleans?"

Her eyes lit up. "Yes Daddy! So you are smart."

"Mhm. What they said about New Orleans?"

"They said something bad happening there. And then they said that you wasn't smart, so it wasn't your fault. Daddy, what did that meant?"

"Nothin', don't worry about it. You did good, ight? Next time Momma and Granny talkin' in the car, I want you to tell me just like this, okay?"

"Okay. Can we get ice cream?"

"Yeah. Just don't tell 'em that you tellin' Daddy what they sayin', ight?"

She nodded and smiled, knowing we was about to go get ice cream.