Chapter 5

Marinette

Marinette was pretty certain she had thrown an umbrella in her bag this morning. Where it vanished was a mystery to her. There was nothing much she could do about it now, though. Waiting for Alya or making a run for it were her only options. She stretched her hand into the rain, letting the drops beat their rhythm against her palm. It was coming down too heavily to run through without getting soaked to the bone. Perhaps it'd let up soon. She could wait... if only she wasn't supposed to be home half an hour ago to help her parents with an unusually large order.

"Marinette?"

Her whole body tensed. She'd heard his voice only a few times, but Marinette didn't have to turn around to know just who was calling her name. Those eyes had haunted her ever since they met. She turned away, hoping he would understand how unwelcome his approach was.

It seemed to work. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Adrien hesitate, then change direction and take a step toward the street.

One step.

Two.

Three.

He was almost past her.

"I just wanted you to know—" Adrien stopped and looked at her, his voice quiet, "—it really was an accident. I didn't mean to drop my pencil. It just slid out of my hand." He paused, seemingly trying to find the right words. "This is my first time in a public school. I've been homeschooled my whole life. I'm still being tutored to supplement the courses I'm taking here because apparently, it's not enough."

Marinette could feel the eyeroll and annoyance in his voice. She couldn't help but join him, because that statement was ridiculous. Their town might be small, and their university might be the only one in the area, but it was a daughter branch of one of the best Parisian universities. The quality of education here was unprecedented.

"Apart from Nino, I've never had neither time nor opportunities to find friends," Adrien continued. "So, this is all... new to me. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. I'm sorry I caused you to trip. I didn't mean to. I really am sorry."

With that, he turned away and took another step away from her.

Marinette's heart skipped a beat. No cocky smile on his face, no mischievous glint in his eyes. Nothing but the earnest desire to earn her forgiveness. Perhaps Alya was right, and he wasn't like Chloe after all. Maybe she overreacted? It certainly wouldn't be the first time.

Adrien kept walking. Her chest tightened, her heart working at an insane rate. Swallowing back a lump in her throat, Marinette clenched her fists, because, in one aspect, Alya had a point, despite whoever Adrien might or might not appear to be—Marinette was better than the way she'd treated him until now.

"I'm sorry I was rude to you," she called right before he stepped into the rain.

Adrien turned around, surprise evident on his face.

She smiled at him. "You deserve the benefit of the doubt, and I should've done better than to assume without really knowing you." His face lit up as she continued, "Due to... some unpleasant life experiences, I can be quick to judge and harsh in my reactions. I do realize that isn't a valid excuse, and I'm working on that, but meanwhile, I'm sorry for being a hot-headed pain in the ass, as Alya calls me."

There it was again. That cocky smile of his. "I'd describe you more like a 'sassy spitfire'. A very beautiful sassy spitfire."

She raised an eyebrow, her cheeks treacherously warming up. "And here I was starting to think there was more to you than a shameless flirt."