Chapter 9

Marinette

Marinette had almost forgotten about the promise she'd made to go on a date with Luka until he texted her a few days later. He was back from his trip and was wondering if they could meet the next day.

She couldn't find it in herself to refuse him again. Especially, not when there was a conversation that they needed to have. Luka was a good friend. The last thing Marinette wanted to do was hurt him, and continuing to string him along would do just that. She couldn't do that to him. Especially not when her heart yearned for another, no matter how impossible their future together seemed at the moment.

Shoes in hand, Marinette walked to the chosen place for their meetup. It was a little chilly to be walking around barefoot, but she didn't care. She loved the feeling of sand between her toes, the water splashing against her feet, the warmth of the setting sun on her skin. Her eyes locked on the sun hovering above the horizon line, trailed after the birds dancing across the sky, followed kids running along the shore. Marinette loved the beach. Loved it with her whole heart. Asking Luka to meet her here instead of the park they'd originally agreed on was the right decision after all. The familiarity of this place brought comfort. It gave her strength and courage. It made her feel secure. She needed that at the moment. She hoped Luka would feel it too.

A short distance from her final destination, a person came into her peripheral vision. Marinette froze in her tracks. That person shouldn't be here. Not him! Not the man who'd caused so much disturbance in her life ever since he'd walked into it. Not when she could still remember how strong and fit his chest was under her hands when she sat behind him on his motorcycle. Not when their kiss—granted, only a cheek peck—was still fresh in her mind. The feel of his skin under her lips, his stunned look, his excited cry when she hid in the bakery... Marinette wasn't ready to face him yet. Not when all of her plans to keep their friendship as platonic as possible were crumbling around her. Not when both Alya and her parents insisted he liked her as more than just a friend. And certainly not when she was about to break the heart of another man in little more than ten minutes.

Adrien didn't seem to notice her. His eyes were focused on the horizon, hands in his pockets. He bathed in the soft glow of the sunset, his skin radiant under its touch. The brilliant white of his outfit, the calm expression on his face, his confident posture. They mesmerized, called, enthralled. Marinette wasn't much of a poet, but just for a moment, she wished she could be the breeze that softly played with his hair. Or that bird in the sky gliding above the water, the one to whose song Adrien was listening to so intently with that tranquil expression on his face. Or maybe the sun, so he would look at her that way, and she could get lost in the green of his eyes, sparkling brightly even with the distance between them.

She had to move, though. She couldn't be caught staring. Keep it casual. Carefree. Act as if nothing had happened, as if he didn't mean the world to her already. As if his existence alone hadn't caused so much conflict inside her.

It'd be fine.

Everything would be just peachy. Just as soon as her heart stopped beating furiously in her chest.

Hesitantly, Marinette resumed walking. Posture stiff, but she marched on, trying her best to pretend she wasn't aware of Adrien's presence just ahead. Step by step, trying to control her breathing, she stared intently at the sliver of the water, at the waves kissing the shore, at the sun crowning the sky... Anywhere but at the man up ahead.

A sudden pain shot through her toes and echoed in her ankle. Marinette stumbled and dropped to the ground with an ugly yelp.

"Mademoiselle? Are you alright?" Adrien was already kneeling in front of her, reaching out to her with his hand. The moment their gazes met, he froze. "Marinette? What—what are you doing here?"