Chapter 18

Marinette

"So, a prince, huh?" Alya crossed her arms over her chest, glaring Adrien's way an hour after Nino had dragged her away to give them some privacy.

"Sorry, bro." Nino nervously smiled from behind her. "Couldn't keep her away any longer."

"On one hand, I'm pleased I figured you out before you graced us with a confession," Alya continued, starting to pace the room. "But on the other, what the heck, Adrien?! That's something you're supposed to tell your soulmate of all people. You could've skipped telling me or, I don't know, your friendly, local ice cream vendor, but Marinette?"

Marinette could hardly hold her giggles back. She loved Alya, and she was flattered her best friend was so riled up on her behalf. Truth be told, if Marinette hadn't learned and processed all of this as Ladybug in her dreams already, she'd be freaking out right alongside Alya. But as it was, Marinette had known about magic and Adrien's royal status for long enough to remain calmer than she should've been in this situation.

"But I—" Adrien tried to insert but was shushed by Alya's glare.

"And I mean, I'm glad you aren't a hideous monster with murderous tendencies who needs to be kept away in a dungeon for the sake of us all, but you being royal does influence Marinette's future. And not necessarily in a good way. She had to know! How could you keep it a secret from her?"

"I was planning on telling her," Adrien replied, shifting closer to Marinette. "But there was so much to tell—not to mention we had to start our whole relationship from zero—so I thought it would be better to take it slow, let Marinette fall in love with me first, and then start revealing the info."

"Right. So you decided to wait until she wouldn't be able to say no to you because she's in love? How very clever."

"She can always say no," Adrien protested. "I'd never force her to do something she doesn't want." His gaze shifted to Marinette as he almost whispered, "Including being with me."

Marinette couldn't help but take his hand and squeeze it slightly. "I believe we already talked this over in our dreams, haven't we?"

"Freaking dreams." Alya groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose. With a heavy inhale, she looked at Marinette. "Humour me, but I'm still not convinced that he hasn't messed with your psyche or something, M. It's just so—Ugh! You've never remembered your dreams. Ever! How do you suddenly gain a lifetime of dream memories? It's not normal. What did he do to you?"

Nino curled an eyebrow. "Babe, are you serious? Don't tell me you consider Marinette not remembering her dreams more normal than remembering them?"

"Well excuse me," Alya grumbled. "But what am I supposed to think when I leave my bestie alone for one day with a guy who appeared in her life just a few months ago and apparently dabbles in magic, and then she suddenly has magic of her own, and then she faints from whatever he told her here, and now she claims to have remembered the dreams she never had and—"

"Technically Marinette has always had dreams. She just couldn't remember them," Adrien dared to insert.

It cost him another glare as Alya threw her hands up. "Pardon my ignorance, Your Highness! And you!" She glared at Marinette. "How are you so calm about it? Your sudden recovery from a dream amnesia and magic powers aside, your stupid boyfriend is the freaking Prince of France! You should be the one freaking out! Not me!"

Marinette couldn't hold her laugh in anymore. With Ladybug's memories freed, she felt whole for the first time in her life. Yet it was still surreal, almost incomprehensible for her. How could she blame Alya for not taking it well? Instead, Marinette took a step and pulled her best friend into a hug, whispering, "I did freak out when I found out. I almost dumped him."