Chapter 20

Adrien

The door to the Dupain-Cheng's apartment wasn't locked, just as Tom had promised. Adrien creaked it open as quietly as he could, swiftly scanning the area. No one was in his immediate sightlines, and the only light seemed to be coming from the kitchen.

"Really? Everything?" A giggle as bright as tiny bells' song echoed down the hallway.

Adrien's lips stretched in a smile. His Lady. His Princess. If he had his way, the future Queen of France.

"Everything to the last thread, I tell you." That was unmistakably Plagg. Adrien could practically feel the smirk on the fiend's treacherous face as he continued, "But I have to give it to him: the kid needed only a few months to learn how to use that shield without destroying all of his clothes in the process."

Marinette laughed, giving Adrien a chance to carefully place the presents he'd brought on the floor and sneak up on her. As soon as she was in his reach, he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her to himself, picking her off the ground and swirling them around. "Hey, Princess."

Plagg groaned and flew away. Marinette yelped, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. "Adrien! What are you doing here so early?!"

"Came to check up on you." He let her go, looking her over. Dishevelled hair (his fault), rosy cheeks, sparkling eyes, and a cute outfit—his future queen was a vision to behold, and one had to be insane not lean down to kiss those luscious lips of hers.

Adrien was not insane.

"How are you?" he whispered, pulling away after a kiss so soft his knees were threatening to give out.

Marinette watched him for a few moments with a dreamy gaze, then shook her head and leaned against the counter. Her smile trembled as she spoke, "A bit nervous."

"Don't be." Adrien leaned his forehead against hers, his gaze on her eyes, his arms around her waist. "You're their daughter, and they love you an abnormally large amount. They won't reject you for having magic in you. It's not like it's something you chose."

"I know," Marinette whispered. "But I still can't help but worry."

She really shouldn't. It was Tom and Sabine they were talking about: two of the most kind, big-hearted people Adrien had ever met. Still, he understood. Telling your parents—who had never believed in magic—that you weren't exactly the regular human they always believed you to be must be a terrifying prospect. Especially for Marinette, who adored her parents too much to ever risk disappointing them.

"I'll be right here, by your side, the whole time," Adrien whispered, brushing his lips against her forehead.

"Thank you." A shy smile tugged at the corner of Marinette's lips.

"Until then—" he placed another peck on her skin, "—what can I help you with?"

A spark of mischief sneaked into her eyes. Marinette's lips widened into the most exaggerated grin he'd ever seen on her face. "Would you mind cutting the bread, Your Highness?"

Adrien laughed, slightly bowing to his girlfriend. "As you wish, My Lady. Let me just put the presents under the tree first." He nodded towards the packages he'd left at the door.

"Did you bring me anything?" Plagg peeked out from behind the fruit bowl where he had hidden.

"That depends." Adrien quirked an eyebrow. "How many embarrassing stories about me have you told Marinette?"

Marinette snickered and quickly got back to chopping veggies.

Plagg pouted, looking away. "Not that many."