Chapter 10

Adrien

Chat Noir was going to have to talk to Ladybug about why she felt the need to send him to the only place he really didn't want to be tonight. True, she didn't directly send him there, but she kept talking about that beach with such reverence and love and longing last night, Adrien couldn't help but check it out. Being there was supposed to help him feel closer to her on the night of her date with another man. He wasn't supposed to crash the said date. It was just a date; he wasn't worried. Plus, Ladybug had assured him she was planning on rejecting Luka's advances. Didn't mean Adrien wanted to witness that or even be nearby. It was awkward, for lack of a better word.

He kept on walking, as far from that place as he could. There was an ice cream truck near where he'd parked his bike, if he remembered correctly. Perhaps, he should stop for a cone. Maybe he should even go for that "sweetheart" ice cream the vendor was trying to sell him earlier.

"Changed your mind?" André, the ice cream man, grinned as soon as Adrien stepped up to his cart.

"Couldn't help it."

André quirked an eyebrow, watching Adrien intently. "I know exactly what you need." A few moments later he offered him an ice cream filled with red, dark blue and light blue scoops. "Her hair is dark as night, eyes bluebell blue. I bet you thought more than once about kissing those red lips of hers, didn't you?"

He couldn't help a smile, a pleasant tingle of warmth rushing down his body. It was definitely his Lady's colours. But then... who else could it have been?

"More than once for sure," he murmured under his breath and thanked André, walking to the beach across the street. A different beach. Not the one he left Marinette and Luka at.

The sun slipped behind the horizon already; streetlights illuminated the area, chasing the darkness away. Chatting, laughter, whispers all around him; the beach seemed to have come alive with night falling, filled mostly with couples wandering about. Adrien focused on his ice cream. It was delicious and made the next fifteen minutes of his life undoubtedly easier.

His phone buzzed just as Adrien was putting his helmet on. It flew right off his head as soon as he spotted the caller ID. And although the person on the other end was not the one he'd expected, the news they delivered brought a smile to Adrien's face. The day was not over yet, and by some miracle, he was granted more time with his Lady in this reality before he could take her in his arms in their dreams.

***

Adrien made sure to find a parking spot closer to the beach where Marinette was. He couldn't have her walking far—No! She wouldn't be walking at all. Speedy recovery—or rather miraculous healing powers—or not, her ankle was still broken, and Adrien wouldn't allow further damage. He quickened his steps, his pace soon quickening to a slight jog, slowing down only when his Lady and her friend came into his view. The duo quietly talked about something, but the moment Luka noticed Adrien, he stood and waved.

"Thanks for coming," Luka said when Adrien walked up to them. "I really appreciate your help."

"Not a problem. I'm glad I can help." He looked at Marinette, glancing at her foot. "How is your ankle doing?"

She gave him a shy smile. "A lot better. I'll be back on my feet in no time. I bet I can even walk a little already—"

"Not a chance." His Lady was always a bit of a daredevil, but he wouldn't be her Chaton if he didn't make sure she was safe, walking that thin line between sanity and recklessness. "Not a step until you're fully healed."

"We'll carry you to Adrien's motorcycle," Luka added. "And I'm sure your father can help Adrien at the bakery."

"Oh, no need," Marinette blurted. "Adrien can carry me all by himself perfectly fine."