7- Keeping it a secret

Reed's P.O.V.

Brooke and I were currently sitting at my kitchen table in my apartment, eating the Chinese I ordered, laughing at something dumb that I told her Chris did at work.

"Is his finger okay?" She asked, taking a bite of her egg roll.

"Yeah, after he got the nail out of his finger he wrapped it up in duct tape and finished trimming the house."

"What? He didn't need stitches?"

"Oh no, he definitely did. You know Chris is stubborn as hell, it would have had to be dangling for him to go to the doctor."

"So when I have Ben in class this next year, I should keep him away from the stapler, is what you're telling me?"

I chuckled, "That would probably be a very smart idea."

"Noted." She started laughing again. That laugh and smile that can light up any room.

"This is nice, Brooke. I missed this."

She smiled, shyly at me. "I know, I missed this too."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"If you didn't get pregnant how long would it have taken you to talk to me again?"

"After you texted me, I tried. I don't know how many texts I started and then deleted because I wasn't quite ready. Then I got busy but now that I say it out loud it sounds like a really stupid excuse but it's true. I've been helping my grandma around her farm and I'm also in the process of moving out of my apartment but I would have, eventually."

"Wait, you're moving out?"

"Yes, it's a long story but I hate Tom and Vanessa is, well Vanessa."

"Where are you going?" I asked in a panic.

"My Grandma's. She's got space and now with a baby on the way, it's definitely best because this situation isn't going to sit well with Vanessa." She said, motioning to her stomach.

I let out a breath, thanking God she wasn't moving far away as I nodded in agreement.

"When are you moving?"

"I hired movers in three weeks. That's the soonest I could get."

"Cancel them. I'll help you, plus I won't charge you."

"I can't ask you to do that."

"You don't have to, I want to. I'll even get the guys to help."

"That's very sweet of you, but-"

"I'm not taking no for an answer, B."

She was about to say something but paused for a moment, probably knowing I wasn't going to let her hire movers. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. When can you have everything packed and ready?"

"Actually, I've got it all pretty much ready now."

"I'm sure I can get some of my friends there Saturday, otherwise I can definitely help anytime this week."

"Saturday's perfect." She said.

******
After we finished eating, we sat down on the couch.

"I have a favor to ask of you."

"Sure, anything."

"Can we keep the baby a secret for a few more weeks, even from Chris. I would really like to go to the doctor and make sure everything is fine before we start telling people."