𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐛𝐥𝐞𝐬 𝐆𝐚𝐦𝐞

Pairings: Dream x Reader
Warnings: Death, injury, blood
Pronouns: They/them
AU: Squid Game

——————————

"For this game, you'll need to get into partners."

Was the sentence that caused a wave of relief to wash over (Y/n)'s body. The games that they had played thus far, the anguish that they have lived through. All by themself. To what extent was it going to stop? They were glad that they could finally hold someone's hand through the next round and they had a feeling that they knew exactly who it was gonna be.

Right after the indicators had gone off, telling them to disperse and search for a partner, (Y/n)'s head immediately turned over their shoulder to see Dream already staring at them.

Just the longing stare into his pure, green eyes felt like enough to warm the ice that had frozen over inside of them after being put through the torture that was the games before them. Of course, they had stuck with each other the whole way through, but to finally play a game together, combining both of their strengths. Well, it was a relief. And besides, (Y/n) would do anything to spend more time with their best friend anyway.

A smile glazing across their face, they immediately gestured for Dream to come over from his spot in the corner. And sprawling out of his seat in a swift movement, he lightly jogged across the area to set himself beside them, sighing.

"What took you so long?" (Y/n) teased, elbowing him gently, causing him to tip over slightly in surprise.

"I was making sure nobody else wanted me as a partner." He chuckled lowly, readjusting himself in his seat. He patted down the folds on his jacket. 403.

"Would you not have chosen me?" (Y/n) giggled softly, feeling a little sting at his words, tilting their head down towards the ground to play with the string of cotton that had started to fall off at the bottom of their jacket.

"No, no, I would've!" Dream answered swiftly, his head darting over to look at them with a concerned expression. "You know I would've, (Y/n). I'm your best friend... I just wanted to make sure my other friends safely got into partners."

"That's really sweet of you." (Y/n)'s laughter felt dry as their head was lifted up from the ground. "They should be glad to have someone like you in their lives."

(Y/n) smiled down towards the ground, the faintest chuckle escaping their lips. But the dullness in their eyes was enough to indicate that this could be perhaps the hardest time in their life. So while they tried their hardest to stay positive, all they earned was Dream's empathetic gaze, who didn't bother trying to laugh the situation out.

"Are you okay, (Y/n)?" He held his hand on top of theirs, brushing his thumb over their palm and glancing up at them.

"Yeah." They replied shortly.

"(Y/n)." He repeated sternly. "You'd think that you'd know not to lie about these things around me after years of knowing each other. You do realise that I can see right through your whole facade." And he was right, of course. Honestly, who would be okay after having suffered through the previous rounds? And to have to suffer through a few more? Inhumane. Torture. But alas, that was not the answer that Dream was seeking to get out of them. Because they knew exactly what he was trying to imply.

"Are you trying to get me to talk about the other rounds?" (Y/n) uttered, a slight catch in their throat sounding.

"It's better to talk about it than stay silent." He shrugged. "And we've got a good nine minutes to do so." He pointed towards the huge timer that hung above everybody's heads, which was slowly but surely going down. "I know you want to."