𝐓𝐞𝐱𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠

Pairings: Wilbur Soot x Reader
Warnings: None
Pronouns: They/Them

——————————

When Tommy agreed to meet up with Wilbur and Tubbo in Brighton, the day really didn't go as they had originally planned. Of course, they did do a load of cool stuff... And by they, he means Tommy and Tubbo. Because while Tommy and Tubbo went out, exploring and really just acting like a bunch of chaotic idiots around town, Wilbur just stood smiling at his phone. It was as if he was just supervising the two of them while they had all the fun. Because while they usually did all of the fun stuff together, as a group, it didn't feel the same anymore. And it was easy to notice this.

After they came back from the beach at lunch time after spending a while on the waves, travelling across the water with a surf-board and a paddling stick, the three of them found a small cafe that they could sit in and order some lunch. Tubbo was hunched over the table, joking about how he was going to go to sleep while Tommy kept stealing Wilbur's glasses and wearing them to make TikToks.

"Wilbur, come on man, you've been on your phone for ages." Tommy groaned, arching over the table and exhaling loudly to try and grab his attention. He removed Wilbur's glasses from his face and set them back down on the table when he realised that it wasn't getting his attention.

"Yeah, socialise with us!" Tubbo smiled brightly, tapping his hands on the table excitedly.

"He's..." Tommy rolled his eyes and gestured over to Wilbur. "He's not even listening..."

"No, no, I am!" Wilbur responded, still not looking up at the screen of his mobile phone, "I'm just... messaging someone." Wilbur was in the awkward position where he was trying to look over to Tommy and Tubbo but still had his eyes glued onto the phone screen. He just seemed so invested in what appeared on it that he couldn't have taken his eyes off for one second.

"You've been on your phone for hours, though!" Tubbo sighed, a little disappointed that he didn't get to talk to Wilbur, in person, as much as he would have wanted to.

"It'll only take a second..." Wilbur hummed quietly, continuing to tap the keys on his phone.

"Yeah- A really long second..." Tubbo tilted his lip and leaned his head on the cafe table, sighing to himself and letting the warm light of the area to surround him.

"Okay," Tommy leaned forward to try and look over Wilbur's phone, growing incredibly impatient with him. "Are you messaging somebody?"

"Tommy!" Wilbur snapped his phone back and replied, taken aback by Tommy's sudden movement and interest in what he was doing. He held the phone back far enough so he couldn't take it or look at what was on the screen.

"What? I'm just curious..!" Tommy answered back in defence.

"As am I." Tubbo held his finger up, his words getting sort of cut off by the fact that his cheek was pressed up against the table from resting on it.

"Tommy, it's not that important..!" He continued to hold his phone back out of Tommy's grasp, which only continued to annoy the blonde boy even further.

"Well, it clearly is important because all you've been doing is stare down at your phone and smile this whole trip!" He yelled back, furrowing his eyebrows.

"Maybe he's ordering hats- I've noticed that Wilbur really liked those!" Tubbo suggested, leaning up in his seat and gesturing towards the beanie that Wilbur was currently wearing on his head.

"Uh... No, I'm not ordering hats..." He hummed in response.

"Just tell us what you're doing, man." Tommy groaned, getting a bit fed up of the whole situation. He leaned his chin on his palm and rested his eyes whilst looking over in Wilbur's direction.

"If you absolutely need to know," Wilbur began, pulling himself back towards the table and resting his position again, "I'm texting somebody."

"So I was right?" Tommy arched one of his brows.

"Yes, Tommy, you were right."

"Who are you texting?" Tubbo leapt up almost immediately in excitement, arching over the desk to try and peer over Wilbur's phone screen.

"God, you guys really are nosy." Wilbur held his phone screen towards his chest so that neither of them could look at it. He breathed out heavily whilst rolling his eyes.

"Tell us!" Tubbo exclaimed, ignoring that last comment.

"Come on, tell us, man." Tommy added on.

"I don't think it's anybody you know." Wilbur mumbled. "It's just... One of Niki's friends..."

"Wait." Tubbo paused for a few seconds. "Are you messaging a girl?" His eyes widened as his interest piqued even further.

"Are you assuming it's a girl just because they're friends with Niki?" Wilbur knit his brows and looked directly at Tubbo.

"Yes, we are." Tommy interrupted his friend. "Wilbur. Are you texting a woman? You can tell us, you know."

He took some time to think, quickly darting his eyes from his phone screen to his friends, debating on whether he should admit it.

"I... Don't think it matters." He cut himself off.

"Why wouldn't it matter?" Tommy questioned, slightly annoyed.

"I think he's just embarrassed." Tubbo shrugged nonchalantly and went back to tapping both of his hands onto the table. Wilbur went silent as he glanced up at Tubbo.

"Why would he be embarrassed? If I was talking to a woman, I would be Pog-Champing!" Tommy announced proudly to the two of them, still assuming it was a female on the other line.

"You keep assuming that it's woman." Wilbur commented under his breath.

"Well, you know. When you like somebody, you get a bit embarrassed when you talk about somebody."

Wilbur became flustered as Tubbo stated the obvious. He exchanged glances with Tommy and Tubbo before awkwardly looking away and pulling away from their gaze. Man. He didn't like it when Tubbo explained things to him like this, because it was often things that he did know and just denied it.

Wilbur clutched his phone tightly and felt his heart beat louder as the silence between the trio just got thicker. Both Tubbo and Tommy continued staring at him, waiting for even a peep to emit from his lips as the silence only grew more audible. He wasn't really sure what to say. So in a moment of quietness, still keeping eye contact with both Tommy and Tubbo, he steadily edged his phone screen away from his chest so that he could look back at it.

"Okay, I need to see this." Tommy got up and went for Wilbur's phone, with the intention of looking through the messages between him and this mystery person.

"Tommy!" Wilbur exclaimed, moving backwards. Tubbo chuckled in the background as he watched the whole event unfold: Tommy trying to grab Wilbur's phone while he just dodged his every move.