3.6

⊱ ─ Scrimmage Gone Wrong ─ ⊰

Daisy took a deep breath ignoring the sweat dripping from her forehead, the team were doing laps around the ice rink. "Work those legs, Gaffney! Where's your energy?" Orion called out. "I think I'm gonna be sick," Julie stated before skated over to the wall and throwing up on the other side. Daisy looked over to Goldberg who lowered his head under her gaze. Daisy shook her head and sped up in the laps. "That's it, Jacobs!" Orion shouted making Daisy roll her eyes. Her lungs were burning for air as she was suddenly light-headed, she came to an abrupt stop and leaned back against the boards.

Daisy closed her eyes as she focused her breathing, allowing her body to lighten with oxygen. "Jacobs! I didn't say to stop," Orion ordered. Daisy opened her eyes glaring at him, "Well, I'm sorry that I almost passed out, Coach." Everyone was taken aback by the sudden attitude from Daisy, a rare sight for them all to see. Orion turned away from her, "Scrimmage! Goldberg, get in the net." Daisy headed to center and fought for the puck, getting it instantly and skating off towards the net where she scored a point. "Jacobs!" Orion called.

Daisy skated over to him, "Yes, Coach?" Orion opened the door to the penalty box. "What?" Daisy asked. "It isn't the Jacobs show. You are a team, you play as a team," Orion spoke as Daisy rolled her eyes and stepped into the box throwing her stick to the ground. Charlie got the puck and was behind the goal. "Come on, Charlie, clear it out! Clear it out!" Orion ordered but Charlie refused to listen. Orion blew his whistle, the high-pitched tone echoed through the rink loudly. "Freeze!" Orion shouted, "I said freeze!"

Orion turned to Charlie, "Where's the one place you never want to clear the puck?" Charlie looked up at the coach, "It looked open." Orion sighed, "Just answer the question, Conway." Charlie glared at the older man. "Listen, I'm not a defenseman, I'm a scorer!" Charlie yelled at the coach. Daisy put her head in her hands as Orion lead Charlie over to the penalty box before skating back to the others. "Anybody share his opinion?" Orion asked them, though they all stayed silent. "All right then, take a knee," Orion said.

Orion cleared his throat, "What's the one thing all great teams have in common?" Averman smiled up at the coach, "Great coaching." Daisy rolled her eyes looking up at Averman. "Don't try to suck up to me, Averman," Orion told him. "Defense. See, unlike scoring, defence never quits. But to play great defence, you need one thing above all else," Orion explained. "Bet it starts with a W," Averman whispered to Goldberg. "Confidence," Orion said, staring down at Averman before looking around at the team.

Orion sighed, "Listen, if you learn nothing else when you're here, you learn this. All right? 'Cause, it's not just about hockey. It's easy to be confident when you have control of the puck. It's very, very difficult to keep that confidence when you gotta take whatever strange bounces life throws your way. Don't be careless, but don't be too careful either. You cannot be afraid to lose. That's how you gain the confidence to attack the game when the puck isn't yours." Daisy took a moment to process his words before looking over at Charlie.

If there was anything that Daisy was confident about, it was that she loved Charlie Conway and nothing would change that. "That's how you attack life, even when you think you don't have any control. And that's how you play real defence," Orion finished off. Daisy went to speak to Charlie but he got up and walked out onto the ice as everyone made their way to the locker room. "Charlie!" Daisy called out making him stop on the ice. "What?" Charlie answered back harshly which made Daisy flinch slightly.

Daisy cleared her throat, "I was hoping we could talk... Things have been strange between us and despite everything happening, I thought we could-" Charlie cut her off, "Why don't you talk with Riley or-or Benny, huh?" Daisy furrowed her brows, "W-What? Why would I?" Charlie rolled his eyes and skated forward, the two of them oblivious to the team, Coach and a few Warriors watching them. "Oh please, Daisy. You love the attention they give you. I saw you blushing when Riley winked at you, I saw the way you flirted with Benny," Charlie spat.

Daisy went to argue back but Charlie didn't let her, "I know you're after the Captain spot, you just think "talking" will stop me from being mad about it. Just stop being so damn stupid!" Daisy froze in place as he yelled at her. Daisy never liked yelling, it always made her cry. But this, this was so much worse for her as she looked at the shell of the boy she loved. She gave up her future with the Panthers to be with him, she moved back home - getting disowned by her mother in the process, not that the team knew - all for him. "I really wish that you said no to Tibbles' offer," Charlie said angrily before realising what was said.

A single tear fell from Daisy's eye as she looked up at Charlie, "F-Fine... Bye Charlie." Charlie tried to stop her but she shoved him out of the way and skated off the ice before running past the team and into the locker room. She changed out of her gear back into her clothes before shoving all of her belongings into her duffel bag ignoring the team's pleas for her to stop. She turned to the team with tears streaming down her face, "Just stop!" They all went quiet as Daisy turned to Orion, "Thanks... Uncle!" Daisy stormed out leaving the team with that reveal.

⊱ ──── {.⋅ ⛸ 🦆 🏒 ⋅.} ──── ⊰

Daisy made her way out of the school, she turned the corner she spotting Charlie sitting with Linda, her heart stopped as Charlie smiled. Linda noticed Daisy and motioned towards her, Charlie turned to look at her as her lip quivered. He stood up but Daisy shook her head and turned around running off. Charlie looked down as he sat back down on the bench, "What have I done?" Linda rubbed his back, "I'm sorry, Charlie. But I'm still annoyed you thought Benny was into her when he's with me." Charlie scratched the back of his neck, "Sorry about that." Linda shrugged as Benny approached them and kissed Linda's cheek.

Daisy practically dragged her feet across the ground as she slowly walked through the gates to the cemetery. She followed the same path she did every time she came to visit her father's grave, she sat down in front of the grey concrete gravestone. "Hey, daddy... I really wish you were here right now. You'd know what to do..." Daisy whispered with a slight sniffle. She began to explain to him everything that had happened since their first day at Eden Hall, she let herself cry and wrapped her arms around herself as she questioned whether or not she made the right choice to just walk away.

⊱ ──── {.⋅ ⛸ 🦆 🏒 ⋅.} ──── ⊰

IDK -Rose <3
{1215}