Prologue

ALEXA RHODES

It all started out so well. Flowers and nice dates. Sweet gestures and good night texts. He was kind and gentle. He stopped when I told him to, he never yelled, he was the perfect guy. Too perfect... I should have known it was too good to be true.

The texts stopped saying goodnight. They started asking me where I was, and who I was with. The nice dates turned to constant and they were nice. He spent every second with me, it was possessive. His idea of sweet gestures changed into controlling what I did, what I said, what I ate, what I drank, who I saw, what I wore. And instead of giving me flowers, he gave me bruises. Rafe Cameron went from the perfect boyfriend to my captor, and I let it happen. Everytime I would try to leave, he could talk me into staying. Every time he left a bruise, he would mend it with the right words. He always knew what to say, how to make me stay. He knew how to scare me, he knew how to make me believe him, he knew how to make me feel guilty, he knew exactly what buttons to push. And no matter what happened, I always woke up next to him. I was trapped and there was no way out. The Outer Banks are supposed to be paradise...
But now it's a cage.